Honored Contributor

Gem Shopping is showcasing it's cheapies

Opals set in silver.  Any choice $395.00.  But that's Gem Shopping.  The Opals aren't the goods ones (Lightning Ridge Black Opals from Australia)  Instead, these are doublets, triplets, boulder opals, etc.  Very cheap opals.  They are nice but unreasonable in price.  

Even for silver, Gem Shopping is high.  They actually are pretty, but worthless in value.  the only good thing is they always show silver gram weight.  And they are heavy.  So you are paying jewelry stores prices for silver. Once it a while, they'll show gems without diamonds set in silver.  The usually are between $400-$700.00  Better deals can be found in gems in at least 14K.  They are around $800 to $1,00.00.  Semi precious, but pretty stones, &  usually with diamonds. Anything set in diamonds are worth something.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gem Shopping is showcasing it's cheapies

If that's a shopping channel, we don't get it here.

Honored Contributor

I've read that they are no longer mining opals in Australia as Ethiopian opals have taken over the market.  They are more likely to be colorful, they aren't nearly as delicate, and they're readily available.  This may be the reason Australian opals have escalated in price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@songbird: ShopLC is having an Ethiopian Welo Opal show today. Watch it and you maybe catch a ILIANA piece ( their high 18kt gold line and probably have with diamonds).  Diamonds are not the only valuable gem. I just saw a piece set in sterling silver- platinum overlay with white and champagne diamonds. If I see an Opal pendant accented with demantoid garnet or tanzanite that it would be even more valuable than a piece with diamonds. Don't get me wrong, I love my diamonds, too.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've read that they are no longer mining opals in Australia as Ethiopian opals have taken over the market.  They are more likely to be colorful, they aren't nearly as delicate, and they're readily available.  This may be the reason Australian opals have escalated in price.

Opals have escalated big time!  I'm talking about the Black Opal.  Gem Shopping usually puts these in platinum surrounded by diamonds including baguette. They range anywhere in price  from $40,000.00 down to $12,000.00 the cheap ones they had on earlier now might actually be worth the $395.00 LOL.  Part of the reason is Australia is running out of opals (plus color diamonds Australia's other big gem)  They only have two mines operating. Opal is my birthstone, but not really my favorite (other then the black opals) The cheapies are still around and plentiful.  I still remember their vendor (big fat Australian in a sun hat) remarking over a 2 carat yellow diamond, saying it's worth $200,000 while if it was a colorless diamond it would be worth 2 Million and he would never have to work again.  Anyway, not a lot of people were taking the cheap ones.  Probably because of the silver.

Honored Contributor

@Margui wrote:

@songbird: ShopLC is having an Ethiopian Welo Opal show today. Watch it and you maybe catch a ILIANA piece ( their high 18kt gold line and probably have with diamonds).  Diamonds are not the only valuable gem. I just saw a piece set in sterling silver- platinum overlay with white and champagne diamonds. If I see an Opal pendant accented with demantoid garnet or tanzanite that it would be even more valuable than a piece with diamonds. Don't get me wrong, I love my diamonds, too.

Yeah I know abut ILIANA.  That's their only good line.  They have real diamonds.  For Tanzanians they average $2,000.00 (very cheap compared to Gem Shopping, but everything is color....ILIANA's are not that good in color)  Strangely enough, no value pays, and  that network was born in value pay.  Even if the color is not that good, the setting alone is worth something.  You don't blink at 18K and diamonds.  Diamonds still trump color gem stones. Other then the Ruby/Sapphire as in Burma/Kashmere and the occasional emerald in bottle green with secondary color blue.. Some source countries are more valuable.  Australia over Ethiopia for example. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

b@songbird : 18kt in the USA has more value than a 14kt gold. In my country we use silver and 18kt gold. So 18kt is common over there, normal. I have a earrings, a chain and a pendant in that metal. I don't wear pieces in yellow gold, like I used to, I use mostly silver. Platinum on the other hand, it's more expensive and more durable.

Gemstones like chrysocolla are set in silver. Love that gem.