Honored Contributor

Re: Gem Day - too much sterling silver

[ Edited ]

@Fressa 

Origins of the gems itself or the country that buys them resells to the U.S. or other country?  Origins of the gemstone is almost always known.  Some origins like the ruby command more money or prestige if they are from a specific valley in Myanmar (or Burma) 

For the wholesalers, the largest is China of course.  Almost all Sapphire & Rubies are exported out of China.  In fact, most Asian countries are exporters.  This is not new.  Asian countries have been doing this for centuries, even thousands of years. .  Some countries like Australia exports it's colored diamonds & black opals in addition to mining them.   Brazil is another country that mines & exports emeralds, Paraiba etc.  South America and Africa used to be connected to each other millions of years ago.  Both places have monopolies in mining  & exporting valuable gem stones. The U.S. mines & exports turquoise.  Compared to other countries, the U.S.(and Canada) are very weak in natural gems.  We have rubies & sapphires, but they are usually poor in color. The U.S. maybe rich in natural resources, but in gemstones, nothing of interest. The countries with the most colored gems are in South America and Africa.  Those countries that have a monopoly of a certain gemstone, is the only place that exports it. Rubies are found though out southeast Asia, but the Burma ruby is the most sought after.

Respected Contributor

Search Jewelry inventory on whatever your heart desires on JTV, they have EVERYTHING - gold/silver/platinum/rhodium over sterling - and gemstones galore. Loose or set in styles. 30day money back guarantee and terrific - I mean terrific pricing on just about everything.

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby 

If you love10K.....that place is for you.

Respected Contributor

I like sterling silver in the summer and I like it with turquoise.  But gemstones look better with gold.  And I prefer yellow gold.  

Esteemed Contributor

@WildDunes wrote:

I've seen a few pieces that I would purchase if only they were in white gold or even platinum clad. Can't wear sterling and hate to clean sterling. Oh well, my bank account is happy!

@WildDunes ..... Great minds think alike .... I was just going to post the same thing .... TOO MUCH SILVER!!!

Super Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD  Yes, I do remember the platinum shows. I've been with QVC from day 1. Have many pieces, mostly rings and earrings, purchased from QVC either in platinum or gold.  Thanks for recalling the platinum days.

Super Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  Oh believe me, I do check out the white gold inventory often, but thanks for the suggestion. Agree on Gem Day, I enjoy it also.

Super Contributor

@MoonieBaby   Thanks for sharing the JTV info. I do know about that shopping site--and have purchased a few nice pieces there.

Honored Contributor

Personally I thought the gold prices were higher than they had to be. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't watch Gem Day on QVC but JTV plates their silver with rhodium and ShopLC plates their silver jewelry with platinum so tarnishing is not an issue.