Respected Contributor

Re: Gabrielle wore a smaller watch

Wear what you like.  And don't be misled by the term men's or women's on a watch.  In the past,  men's watch were much, much smaller than they are today.   What was a man's watch is now considered a mid-sized woman's watch.

Best way to judge is to measure a watch that you have and like and use it as a guide.  Don't approximate.... a small difference in diameter of the face of the watch can make a big difference in the overall size.   Also,  some places measure including the crown and some don't.... again this can make a difference if you are sensitive to size.

If you can master millimeter sizing,  then you will have a much better idea how big a watch really is.  But not every vendor lists it,  QVC doesn't.

I like larger watches,  but not huge watches.   I will admit that over time my tolerance for larger watches as gone up as I have worn more and more bigger watches.

If you like a watch that's not tiny,  but not oversized,  then a 30mm is perfect.  An inch is 25mm,  so 30mm is about an inch and a quarter (slightly less).  If you pick a target size,  then you can judge a watch that is slightly larger or smaller and know if it will work for you.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I took note of it because of all the BIG women's watches today.  I just don't like them.

No, I don't want the kind my grandmother wore.  They were very petite and dainty.

But they mostly look like men's sizes to me now.  I will try not to buy anymore anyway, as I probably have enough.  Just my taste doesn't click with the men's look!

The watch she wore might have been her own for all I know.  Just wondering if they are trending a little smaller.  They have to change it up!!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

"You will try not to buy anymore"?    Just don't purchase; that's pretty easy.

As for size, it's all about proportion and what looks good on a person.   Three women with small, medium and large bone structures will look best with different watches.  It's much less about categorizing as a men's or women's watch .... it's just not usually a helpful categorization.  Many are what could be called unisex.

Watches are also more jewelry/bracelet pieces; years ago they were just functional pieces.   Now, styles are cyclical.   Wear what you like and what looks best on you.

BTW ------  A history lesson.   After President Kennedy was assasinated, Jacqueline wore black for a whole year, wearing no jewelry ....  only a Cartier Tank Watch.     When she was photographed wearing "a man's watch" women went crazy, and there was close to a 3 year waiting list at Cartier for that watch.  No one expected that women would want it, but it's now a classic, worn by women of all ages everywhere.    

Image result for jackie kennedy cartier tank watch

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Honored Contributor

Personally, I like medium-large watches.   Not only do they make my arm and wrist look a tad smaller, but they're so much easier to read than small watches!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I took note of it because of all the BIG women's watches today.  I just don't like them.

No, I don't want the kind my grandmother wore.  They were very petite and dainty.

But they mostly look like men's sizes to me now.  I will try not to buy anymore anyway, as I probably have enough.  Just my taste doesn't click with the men's look!

The watch she wore might have been her own for all I know.  Just wondering if they are trending a little smaller.  They have to change it up!!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

"You will try not to buy anymore"?    Just don't purchase; that's pretty easy.

As for size, it's all about proportion and what looks good on a person.   Three women with small, medium and large bone structures will look best with different watches.  It's much less about categorizing as a men's or women's watch .... it's just not usually a helpful categorization.  Many are what could be called unisex.

Watches are also more jewelry/bracelet pieces; years ago they were just functional pieces.   Now, styles are cyclical.   Wear what you like and what looks best on you.

BTW ------  A history lesson.   After President Kennedy was assasinated, Jacqueline wore black for a whole year, wearing no jewelry ....  only a Cartier Tank Watch.     When she was photographed wearing "a man's watch" women went crazy, and there was close to a 3 year waiting list at Cartier for that watch.  No one expected that women would want it, but it's now a classic, worn by women of all ages everywhere.    

Image result for jackie kennedy cartier tank watch

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

I guess I really meant I am not going to buy any more (even if they are in a smaller size) as I have enough.  Not sure why you had to take me to task there.

Hyacinth