Respected Contributor

Kudos to QVC for providing diamond color and clarity grading.

I asked, as many of us did, for years.

When first presenting the Big Deal Nancy Hornback, GIA gemologist explained the grading and said the clarity was such that inclusions can be seen with the naked eye. She then graded the ring a 7 out of 10.

I was greatly impressed by her honesty and QVC's transparency.

Esteemed Contributor

I was MORE impressed with the knowledge the QVC diamonds are H in color and I in clarity. To me, that's not a 7 out of a 10. I wouldn't touch them. However, I appreciate the honesty at long last. When I'm home and have time, I do enjoy watching Nancy and find her knowledge and interest in gems fascinating.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I'm glad that QVC and others are starting to provide diamond quality and color grading information. It's very important that we know what we are buying.

However,  I have some concerns:  unless the grading is done by a GIA certified expert,  then the information might not be exact.  Grading is part science,  but also subject to human interpretation.  Just because someone quotes the GIA grading scale does not mean that their assessment of the diamond is accurate.  Even if the intent is to be accurate,  the experience, training, and inherent bias of the grader can result in different assessments of the same stone.   I've had jewelers who differed with a written diamond evaluation provided by the GIA itself on a GIA certified stone.

Also,  many people don't really understand the GIA diamond grading scale.  So when a sales person tells them it's a great stone or uses other marketing language, it doesn't mean they are getting the right interpretation of

the GIA specifications as they relate to that stone.  A stone with a GIA clarity of I, means the inclusions in the stone can be seen with the naked eye.  Those inclusions may or may not interfere with the beauty of the stone (it depends on many factors,  including the color of the stone, the size of the stone,  the size and location of the inclusions, and how the stone is cut) ,  but they certainly should effect the price.   When I hear sales people say the clarity of  stones is I2-I3 amd then go on to say how beautiful the stones are, and how much they sparkle,  I know that I cannot believe most of what they are saying.   But I worry that there are others who just accept the information as being accurate.

I know that sales people are there to sell.  But as buyers we need to be as informed as possible so we can properly understand everything that is being said.   In person,  we can add our own inspection to the analysis,  but on TV we need to distinguish the 'facts' from the opinions.

How the diamond is cut is also a factor in how it looks.  In the simplest of terms,  the number of facets is important:  many round diamonds used these days in jewelry setting are not full cut.  A full cut round diamond has at least 57 facets,  but so called 'single cut' stones have only 16 facets.   These single cut stones are often used in setting with many small diamonds.  The brilliance of a single cut stone is much less than that of a full cut stone,  all other factors of quality and color being equal.  We rarely hear anyone describing if the diamonds are full cut.

Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Kudos to QVC for providing diamond color and clarity grading.

I asked, as many of us did, for years.

When first presenting the Big Deal Nancy Hornback, GIA gemologist explained the grading and said the clarity was such that inclusions can be seen with the naked eye. She then graded the ring a 7 out of 10.

I was greatly impressed by her honesty and QVC's transparency.

I believe Evine and JTV give the grading on their diamonds.  Evine will give the grades of the moissainte as well.  I agree that the more info. they give the better and will have less returns because people really know what they are getting.

Respected Contributor

Re: GIA grading of diamonds

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

I was MORE impressed with the knowledge the QVC diamonds are H in color and I in clarity. To me, that's not a 7 out of a 10. I wouldn't touch them. However, I appreciate the honesty at long last. When I'm home and have time, I do enjoy watching Nancy and find her knowledge and interest in gems fascinating.

I agree BirkLADY...Who wants I clarity diamonds?  I comes in three categories:

Included 1

Included 2 

Included 3

Does that sound appealing?

Trusted Contributor

@esmeraldagooch I is a very included stone. Blue Nile, where I shop for most of my jewelry does not even sell "I" quality diamonds. I wouldn't buy diamonds from any other sell than Blue Nile. Just like pearls, I only buy my pearls from pearlparadise.com. 

As always "buyer beware."

Honored Contributor

I also wish they give measurements and weight of gemstones.  

Super Contributor

Like the rest of you, I'm so glad some of the shopping channels are providing us with the grading of their diamonds. I think it's important for us to know.We might be on a buget, or we're saving for that very specail piece so we want nice diamonds. We don't want to be disappointed when we get a piece that looked so beautiful on TV.

I did take a chance on one of HSN's necklaces. It's called Miracle links. I think they said the diamond was H I2. It's only 07. pts but I was pleasantly surprised when I got the necklace because the little diamond is much better than the grading they gave it.

Still, it kind of shocks me that the shopping channels charge so much for pieces with low quality diamonds. In my opinion, use good ones, not what I call salt chips, or don't sell them at all.

QVC seems to be so proud of their H I2 diamonds when that is not a good enough grading.for most of us.