Super Contributor

Why did they keep comparing the green chrome diopside to an emerald.  They are not the same and I'll take an emerald any day over chrome diopside. 

Respected Contributor

Both stones are green?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Both are green and most people can't afford a quality emerald of decent size.  I think the chrome Diopside makes a good substitute if you like green. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: GEM Day TSV

[ Edited ]

There are people who don't know the difference between green gems, including some jewelry store counter peopleicon_rolleyes.gif. They think if it's green than it must be an emerald. 

If anything a chrome diopside looks more like a Tsavorite garnet more than it does an emerald.

Honored Contributor

@bcherry01 wrote:

Why did they keep comparing the green chrome diopside to an emerald.  They are not the same and I'll take an emerald any day over chrome diopside. 

@bcherry01 Both are colored by chromium? Chrome diopside was big in the industry around the 90's and many jewelers used it for customers looking for a vivid green stone, less flawed than an emerald.

I own a chrome diopside ring but when I wear it, people think it is an emerald. Very green 1.90 ct stone because the larger the chrome diopside the darker less desirable color begins to appear.

Respected Contributor

I think "they" are just making a statement about the color of the chrome diopside as an option if you like vivid green.  The hosts aren't saying or implying they are the same gemstone, at least not when I heard the presentations. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Super Contributor

@bcherry01 

I agree with you.  I inherited my aunt's beautiful emerald and diamond band that my uncle bought for their 35th wedding anniversary.  She hardly ever wore it. Chrome diopside is very dark green compared to the emerald.  No contest.

Esteemed Contributor

Gem quality chrome diopside is a brilliant,  vivid green!!!  Quality stones are not dark and quality rough material is rather scarce now.

Finding an emerald with no visible inclusions would cost a significant amount.  I have a beautiful chrome ring surrounded by white zircon that I love. 

Honored Contributor

I'd take chrome or russian over an emerald any day of the week. I love the color green, I love the crisp clarity of a diopside over the emerald.

Super Contributor

Re: GEM Day TSV

[ Edited ]

I agree here, chrome diopside does not look like emerald in any light. It is a dark hue of green. I bought earrings once, and they give such a harsh color, I need to redo it into something else. The color needs to be softer for me.