Respected Contributor

Re: Found a platinum and diamond ring in kitchen drawer

@depglass wrote:

The style sounds older than what she might have worn. Could it have belonged to one of their mothers?  I know its hard to comprehend, but there are people that have no interest in jewelry whatsoever.  It could have been as meaningless as an old hammer.  No jewelry finds in our family, but my sister's father-in-law stashed two mint condition handguns and $11,000 in holes he had created in the floor and door jambs.  He was quite a home carpenter. 

We were wondering if it could have been my grandmother's but her ring has been gone since the Depression.  Smiley Sad  

Honored Contributor

MANY years ago, my best friend in HS was opening a birthday gift from her parents and in part of the packing material was a large emerald ring set in gold with diamonds at each corner. It was NOT placed there by her parents. The gift had been ordered from a department store, giftwrapped and then shipped to her.

We ALL thought it was costume but no.... it was the real deal and the emerald was a REAL one. Her birthstone happened to be an emerald so she thought it was part of the original gift.

Her mom called the department store she had placed the order through but they said there was no way to find out who it belonged to: this was back in they day before PC's, the internet, etc and when you called someone at say, Saks, THEY contacted someone else who contacted someone at a warehouse and so it went.

Her parents insured the ring for at least a thousand but that's all her mom would hint at. We were 16 at the time and they were going to allow her to wear it when she turned 18. I wonder just HOW valuable that ring is and who it once belonged to.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kalli

I love old mine cut diamonds, and antique settings the most!

Respected Contributor

@NickNack

To be honest, with my mom's condition, I felt certain that she had thrown it out by mistake.  When we were clearing out her stuff in the master bedroom, it took a long time: we had to unwrap and take apart everything: boxes of Kleenex, sanitary pads, etc.

I was truly surprised when my dad told me had found it.  I was with my mom when she bought that ring!

I call it my " parents " ring !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

All I find in my kitchen drawers are crumbs!