Honored Contributor

Re: For want of a BLUE sapphire

You should try Jtv.  My husband bought me a true blue sapphire and white zircon ring and matching pendant for Christmas.  It's real genuine sapphire and a pefect 2ct size in the ring and pendant.  Jtv has sapphires and rubies that have been treated in some way so that we can have real sapphires in gem quality colors at prices we can afford.  My jewelry is in yellow gold over silver but a friend bought a similar sapphire ring from them in 14k gold.  I know the rubies are sold under the brand name Mahaleo rubies.  I'm not sure about the sapphires.  Jtv has an amazing customer service dept that can help you with that.  I absolutely hate those ugly black "sapphires" that  shopping channels sell.  I bought one many many years ago and the stone is so black that I wear it with a black onxy braclet. 

Trusted Contributor

FYI, the Mahaleo rubies from JTV are the glass-filled variety, which is how they can sell them so cheap.  I have seen some very nice blue sapphires on there, but was never sure if what I was seeing was what I would actually get if I ordered them.

The Montana sapphires look like a better option for getting the blue you want at a price that won't put you in the poor house, although they aren't particularly cheap, either.  Still, they're American, and the color range is spectacular, so there's that.

I'd rather given up looking for a blue sapphire I could afford that I'd also like to have.  Wishing the OP good fortune on her quest.  Oh, and if you find what you're looking for, please come back and tell us where you found it!

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I'm a TV jewelry buyer, our local stores carry small stones at huge prices.  So I've been looking for a true blue sapphire for years.  I don't care what color it shows on the screen, when it arrives it is always black.  Any suggestions?

I haven't read all the responses but I think if you're looking for an expensive gem, it's best to see it in person, loupe it, ask the jeweler about the stone, etc.

I have a ceylon sapphire ring that I absolutely love.  I looked it over closely before buying.  I love that part of purchasing, looking at the stone closely and talking about it with the jeweler.  Smiley Very Happy