Honored Contributor

Re: For fun let's see your wedding set.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

This is a an interesting read on those "Safe " deposit boxes... did you know there  are an estimated 25 million safe deposit boxes in America, and they operate in a legal gray zone within the highly regulated banking industry. There are no federal laws governing the boxes; no rules require banks to compensate customers if their property is stolen or destroyed

read on....    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

Yes, I found that out after having a sdb for years. So now I have a small water-tight and corrosion-proof box buried on my property with my valuables inside it. No one knows where that is except me until I die or become incapacitated then in my will the location is revealed to my executor. If I leave that stuff inside my house then I'll have to insure it and that's not happening b/c the stuff is irreplaceable.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry there are hurt feelings.  Your wedding set is lovely, but so many folks here are worried about theft.  Sad fact of life.

I love jewelry myself.  There have been times I would love to share pictures of my heirloom jewelry and unique items I have collected from craftspeople.  But I don’t dare.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

This is a an interesting read on those "Safe " deposit boxes... did you know there  are an estimated 25 million safe deposit boxes in America, and they operate in a legal gray zone within the highly regulated banking industry. There are no federal laws governing the boxes; no rules require banks to compensate customers if their property is stolen or destroyed

read on....    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

Yes, I found that out after having a sdb for years. So now I have a small water-tight and corrosion-proof box buried on my property with my valuables inside it. No one knows where that is except me until I die or become incapacitated then in my will the location is revealed to my executor. If I leave that stuff inside my house then I'll have to insure it and that's not happening b/c the stuff is irreplaceable.

@SilleeMee  Smart!

Honored Contributor

Ladies, you only have one life. If you have some good jewelry, sentimental value or not, insure it and wear/enjoy it. You can't live in fear. Mine's put away only because we had months of strangers in and out doing repairs and painting.

What's the point of having any jewelry if you're always fearful of having it in your home and stolen or in the bank and don't trust them either? You may as well just sell it. 

Respected Contributor

I, too, love beautiful and precious jewelry, and I understand the challenges of trying to safeguard everything and yet also enjoy wearing it.

On the bridal websites many ladies love posting photos of their engagement rings and sharing, so I can understand why ladies would want to share their wedding rings.

Nowadays many people wear costume jewelry, so it is not always easy to tell what is valuable and what is low-budget just by looking at somebody for a moment.

I agree that with age brings Internet wisdom, and most ladies should not be posting all of their jewels for widespread public viewing.   As the French police said about Kim Kardashian and her big diamond rings, "if you flaunt it, you make yourself a target."

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

The stuff I have buried away is not jewelry but rare loose gemstones and rare gold coins. They were passed down to me and are not replaceable. Insurance couldn't do me any favors if something happened to it...that stuff is priceless.

Frequent Contributor

I am sorry you had this response to a genuine effort to start a light dialog. I think few of us feel light, most are stressed, and sadly, some people cannot ignore things they dislike-they have to weigh in. There seems to be some displaced anger/frustration. Your set is beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus.  Of course, not knowing which is real, you could get knocked in the head or killed while they figure it out.

@Kachina624, My thoughts, absolutely.  I have never understood why wearing a replica of expensive jewelry makes you safe.  A replica that could fool anyone, yeah, I guess it could.  Anything that has to be locked up in a bank would not give me joy.  Of course, if one were a royal, you would have your most precious goodies locked up in the Tower of London

for the world to admire.  And bodyguards with you when you wear it.

@PamfromCT  I don't think replicas are worn to make you feel safer. I think they are worn so that if you are threatened or robbed, you readily just hand over the replicas without hesitation and hopefully are saved from being hurt.

Honored Contributor

@TennisCaptain - You certainly didn't deserve any of the harsh comments that were aimed at you for posting a photo of your wedding set.

Others post actual pictures of themselves or rooms in their homes, which reveal a lot more and they don't get criticized for it, so I'm a bit surprised by the reaction.

Try to let it flow over you - "like water off a duck's back"!  Smiley Happy

No wedding set for me.  My engagement ring, along with all my other jewelry and what my mother had left me, went in a burglary many years ago.  So it's just a gold band now.

Have a wonderful and safe holiday season.

Honored Contributor

@TennisCaptain  Your rings are very pretty. I wear my Mom's thin plain gold band from 1946. It makes me happy that she is with me all the time.