Honored Contributor

Fluorescing gemstones, got a blacklight?

Michael Valitutti made a fascinating point a couple weeks ago, that rubies from Myanmar (Burma) fluoresce.  I couldn't find my ancient blacklight so I ordered an LED blacklight in flashlight form from Amazon for 9.99.  All of my rubies fluoresce, meaning my cheap ones from LC, and a couple from Chuck Clemency.  A few other stones did also.  Died Welo opals did, but untreated ones did not.  Stabilized turquoise showed fluoresence in two stones of a three stone ring, the center was dead grey.  A synthetic Alexandrite from Victoria Weick also fluoresced. You that are knowledgeable about gemstones probably knew all of this, but I sure had fun checking my jewelry stash. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Fluorescing gemstones, got a blacklight?

Youll become known as a real bore among your friends if you carry that flashlight with you everywhere you go and whip it out everytime someone admires a piece of your jewelry. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If you want a real fright, go to your kitchen or bathroom in the dark & then turn on that blacklight flashlight & look around at the floor, cupboards & walls, etc.!  What looks pristine in natural light, looks like a crime scene in UV!  The UV light lights up proteins or minerals & it looks pretty ghastly!  LOL  (It is a good way to find pet stains that you can't see with your naked eyes, though)

Respected Contributor

Sea of Cortez pearls and Mabe` also are the only pearls have a unique flourescense under long wave UV light and display a blood red to faint pink glow. 

Respected Contributor

I heard you can get the flashlights with UV at any auto part store.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Youll become known as a real bore among your friends if you carry that flashlight with you everywhere you go and whip it out everytime someone admires a piece of your jewelry. 

@Kachina624    I unintentionally insulted a coworker once.....when I put on my reading glasses to look at her new engagement ring..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@depglass, I'm glad you had fun!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All rubies fluoresce...even lab created ones.

Not to gross anyone out, but scorpions fluoresce, too. It's a way to find them in the dark!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Not to gross anyone out, but scorpions fluoresce, too. It's a way to find them in the dark!

Living in the desert SW, that's what I use my UV flashlight for the most, though thankfully, I've never had a scorp inside my house, just out in my garage & yard (& I hope it stays that way!).