Honored Contributor

Re: Five days to my next paperclip purchase

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I bought a set of three stainless steel paperclip necklaces in rose, yellow and white for a friend for Christmas and I paid less than $20 for all three chains. I almost kept them b/c they were so nice.

I hope your friend will refrain from telling you when the plating wears off because it will, almost immediately.  Plain stainless kind of resembles Platinum but can be heavy @SilleeMee .

Good luck with it.

I think it depends on your body chemistry as to it wearing off.  

Plus necklaces aren't like rings or bracelets where those can get a lot of friction just by wearing them. Necklaces and earrings just hang there w/o much movement so I think the necklaces should be fine. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I bought a set of three stainless steel paperclip necklaces in rose, yellow and white for a friend for Christmas and I paid less than $20 for all three chains. I almost kept them b/c they were so nice.

I hope your friend will refrain from telling you when the plating wears off because it will, almost immediately.  Plain stainless kind of resembles Platinum but can be heavy @SilleeMee .

Good luck with it.

Plus necklaces aren't like rings or bracelets where those can get a lot of friction just by wearing them. Necklaces and earrings just hang there w/o much movement so I think the necklaces should be fine. 

I think you are right.  I have had gold plated earrings that I have worn for years and they still look as if I just purchased.  The problem I have had with some rings that are gold over silver is that the gold wears off on the shank at the bottom.  Rest of the ring is perfect lol.  However I have posted this before that Victoria Wieck's rings on me never disclolor at all.  I also have a couple of gold over from JTV that never discolor.  Not sure what goes on with my chemistry lol

Honored Contributor

I don't wear Sterling, but I do Ultrafine.  I have a heavy gram  one (Ultrafine) neckace.  I also have several paperclip bracelets too.  But my favorite is a monster 53 gram Ultrafine U link bracelet.  I'm crazy over it.  So much better looking than the paper clip!.  I have a 23  gram matching U link  Ultrafine bracelet.  I have one 14K paperclip necklace (Stefano)  this one is semi solid.  

Honored Contributor

I just bought this set of three stainless necklaces in 'rose' (16", 18", 24" all w/extenders). ShopLC dot com.

These also come in white and yellow, all the same price of $30 for all three pieces. Each necklace is a different size link so the longest (24") has the largest links. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Good luck with it.

I doubt that @sunshine 919 , but good luck with your purchases.  Enjoy them!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Very nice @SilleeMee .  Just know the plating will wear off.  Just handling it will cause that.  Nothing to do with type of item or body chemistry.  Enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Very nice @SilleeMee .  Just know the plating will wear off.  Just handling it will cause that.  Nothing to do with type of item or body chemistry.  Enjoy them.

@gertrudecloset 

We'll see about that. I have other plated steel pieces and never had a problem with any of it as far as the plating wearing off. Looks the same as the day I bought it as a matter of fact.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

We'll see about that. I have other plated steel pieces and never had a problem with any of it as far as the plating wearing off. Looks the same as the day I bought it as a matter of fact.

Yes, as I said time will tell.  I've had some too.  The turn off for me, however is that Stainless Stell is much more weighty than Silver.  All of it tarnishes.  These are just facts.  Might not be right away, might be a year from now, but it will fade.  The gold required to plate is not enough to last like vermeil jewlelry.  Even vermeil jewlery (considered the best) eventually tarnishes and needs replating.  @SilleeMee .  Like I said, enjoy your pieces.

I'm just a "realist" is all.

https://www.jewelryshoppingguide.com/gold-plated-jewelry-faq/

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  - I'm also a realist and I believe the jewelry you purchased will be just fine.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Good luck with it.

I doubt that @sunshine 919 , but good luck with your purchases.  Enjoy them!

l have been wearing my pieces for a few days now, and they are fine.  Literally when my rings have tarnished it has been almost immediately. Fortunately only two rings that have discloroed underneath my finger but the rest of the ring is fine.  I also have gold tone stainless steel necklace  from Emma Skye from HSN it is my go to necklace and it looks the same as the day I received it.  I do not baby it.  I also have a gold tone necklace I purchased from Q.  Mary beth was the presenter.  It is a gold tone heart necklace Steel by Design it has the Lords prayer on it and very substantial. And it has never discolored. I purchased this over 10 years ago, So I am happy with these pieces.  Have a nice day everybodySmiley Happy