Honored Contributor

Fashion Jewelry with sterling and plating

I wish QVC had sold good fashion jewelry.  If you have one piece of Judith R, you have it all (all looks same or similar) and it's way overpriced.  I like Carolyn P's western style but as with Judith, if you have several pieces, that's enough western (but at least she uses her creative juices more frequently).  I like Heidi Daus from HSN but that is overtop jewelry and a few pieces go a long way. 

There must be designers of good fashion jewelry with an affordable price tag and a desire to sell.  QVC has the audience, they just need to find and make nice with designers.  

I understand that the rewards for designers are low, the reason QVC has "housed" so many of the designers who do not want to give all their profit to the Q. If that is the case, someone may need to look at old school profit margins.

Contributor

Re: Fashion Jewelry with sterling and plating

QVC carries Joan Rivers, Logo, Halston, Susan Graver and other fashion jewelry lines. I've only bought Joan Rivers so I can't speak about the other lines, but they keep carrying them, so they must be doing well. Maybe those aren't what you're talking about?

Honored Contributor

Comparatively, there is but a paucity of Joan Rivers, a real "designer;" the others are waste or what my grandmother would call paste. 

Honored Contributor

Personally I put sterling in the same category as gold jewelry, meaning there is intrinsic value in the metal.  (It can be melted down and sold if one so desires)  Fashion jewelry has no value in the metal.  Also called costume jewelry.  That's just me, I'm sure there are lots of dissenters on this issue.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Personally I put sterling in the same category as gold jewelry, meaning there is intrinsic value in the metal.  (It can be melted down and sold if one so desires)  Fashion jewelry has no value in the metal.  Also called costume jewelry.  That's just me, I'm sure there are lots of dissenters on this issue.

You are correct @depglass.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sterling silver jewelry is "fine jewelry" as long as the set jewels, if any,  are of the natural kind and not man-made. For example, a cz stone set in gold, sterling silver or platinum is, by definition, costume/fashion jewelry. Many will argue this point about what constitutes "fine jewelry". That's where I, and many others, draw the line...real v.s. faux anything.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Sterling silver jewelry is "fine jewelry" as long as the set jewels, if any,  are of the natural kind and not man-made. For example, a cz stone set in gold, sterling silver or platinum is, by definition, costume/fashion jewelry. Many will argue this point about what constitutes "fine jewelry". That's where I, and many others, draw the line...real v.s. faux anything.

I gues you don't wear pearls then.... Most don't have wild pearls in their collection.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch,

I love pearls! ...cultured are the only ones that I can afford.Smiley Very Happy But I do own one natural pearl which was passed down from my Japanese mother. This natural pearl is very old, hundreds of years old. I don't wear it...I'm afraid of losing it! It's set in 22K gold.

Respected Contributor

Well ,since cultured pearls and keshi are only created due to the intervention of man and are in fact man made, so they are costume according to your criteria below.

Respected Contributor

I have many types of cultured pearls, genuine and created gems set in gold and silver.  While the created gems are not worth the same on the open market as the genuine in the same color and clarity, they are a great alternative and suit my needs and wants.   

I hope everyone enjoys their jewelry collection no mater what you choose to collect.  If we all liked the same thing it would be pretty boring out there.