Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fashion Jewelry with sterling and plating

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Well ,since cultured pearls and keshi are only created due to the intervention of man and are in fact man made, so they are costume according to your criteria below.

Sterling silver jewelry is "fine jewelry" as long as the set jewels, if any,  are of the natural kind and not man-made. For example, a cz stone set in gold, sterling silver or platinum is, by definition, costume/fashion jewelry. Many will argue this point about what constitutes "fine jewelry". That's where I, and many others, draw the line...real v.s. faux anything.

I think that's incorrect @esmeraldagooch.  While cultured pearals DO have aid from humans, the Oyster still produces the pearl (even with human intervention).  Pearls are not really classified as gemstones (they are not minerals).  So, no Pearls are not gemstones and do not count here.  This is true despite their origin.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree @itiswhatitis. Pearls are the exception in this case.Smiley Happy I can't think of any other "gem" that would be in the same category as a pearl. They are totally unique to themselves.

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Well ,since cultured pearls and keshi are only created due to the intervention of man and are in fact man made, so they are costume according to your criteria below.

Sterling silver jewelry is "fine jewelry" as long as the set jewels, if any,  are of the natural kind and not man-made. For example, a cz stone set in gold, sterling silver or platinum is, by definition, costume/fashion jewelry. Many will argue this point about what constitutes "fine jewelry". That's where I, and many others, draw the line...real v.s. faux anything.

I think that's incorrect @esmeraldagooch.  While cultured pearals DO have aid from humans, the Oyster still produces the pearl (even with human intervention).  Pearls are not really classified as gemstones (they are not minerals).  So, no Pearls are not gemstones and do not count here.  This is true despite their origin.

Do you have any gemstone books at home?  I do, pearls are included in the listings.

So does the GIA.   https://www.gia.edu/gem-encyclopedia