Frequent Contributor

Every Regret NOT Buying a Piece of Jewelry?

There's another thread I've been reading and posting in, jewelry purchase regrets. It got me to thinking about my NON purchase regrets, the ones that got away! Topping the list are the blue topaz earrings set in silver with a small freshwater pearl set on the bottom.  They were very David Yurman, but without the price.  This was YEARS ago when Jane still did the Sunday morning silver shows.  They had these earrings in stock for a long time, I even ordered a pair and sent them back. I always thought I could get a pair in the future.  Then one day they were gone from inventory!  I've always regretted not buying a pair of those earrings.

And another regret is the Elsa Perretti cross I found in a pawn shop at a good price.  I just didn't want to spend the money that day.  But big mouth me told the pawn shop owner, who obviously DIDN'T know, "you know this is a Tiffany piece?"  Well when I went back to get a few days later the price had gone up considerably.  I should have bought it right when I saw it because anyone else that came in and knew what is was would have bought it. And if they planned to come back and get it as I did they probably would have kept their big mouth shut.

Anyone else have jewelry non purchase regrets????

Honored Contributor

Re: Every Regret NOT Buying a Piece of Jewelry?

Yes, many years ago there was a jade bracelet, I think on QVC, that was so pretty, I think of it to this day. Instead of the usual jade bars, it was oval stations on a chain. 

At the time it was much more than I could afford, but I wish I had bought it anyway. I' m too sensible sometimes. Sigh.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Yes, I am still searching for them on the secondary market.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, when I first started watching QVC, Lisa Robertson was presenting, and wearing, a pair of earrings that I really liked.  I was so new to this shopping channel thing that I "assumed" that QVC would always have everything available at all times.  I am sure those earrings are long gone.  I don't really regret not buying them though, because I don't even wear a lot of the jewelry I bought, mostly on impulse.

I have more reqrets on all the stuff I DID buy!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

About 20 years ago,  before the price of gold skyrocketed,  I got a white gold dome ring on QVC.   It was wide and very substantial with diamond-cut Xs.   I sat in a dark movie theater and watched it sparkle like crazy.   Shortly after I got it,  I had an unexpected expense and decided I couldn't afford the ring so I returned it.   I've regretted it ever since.   Loved that ring. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't know if any of you remember back maybe 15 years ago when Laura Ramsey used to sell her beautiful jewelry on what used to be Shop NBC.  I didn't get that station on my cable at the time, but I had gotten connected to a website where the Ramseys auctioned a lot of "leftover" jewelry pieces (they may have been returns, I'm not sure).  I got so many of those pieces in beautiful gemstones and 14K for a fraction of the Shop price.......it was almost a crime, and I still have them.

I was really into tanzanite and inlaid Australian opal at that time, and she had this gorgeous ring with the center tanzanite surrounded by inlaid blue opals and diamonds that I LOVED!  My memory is fuzzy, but I think I bid about $500 on it (already more than I could really afford), and someone else got it for a little more than my bid.  Rats!!!  I still think about (and can picture) that ring today!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I love two-tone (white and yellow gold) jewelry.  QVC had a wide w/y gold quilted bracelet in sort of a checkerboard pattern.  I loved it, but resisted, because it was a cuff.  I have small wrists, and was afraid I'd lose it.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I had always wanted a real gold bracelet with x and o...all around...found it on the Q....bought it...loved it so much...it had a meaning to me ....well I found it was so expensive and I had other bills to pay and I sent it back...have regretted to this day...probably couldn't afford to purchase now even if it did show up...

Esteemed Contributor

After the crash of 2008 place like the pearl outlet had remarkable sales on items like South Sea pearls. Giveaway prices. Was too afraid to part with $$$ at that time. Now, the cost of what they offered then would be 10X at least. Regret...

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

Sapphire hoops earring, about a inch in diameter(HSN)The perfect color of blue. That was over 15 years ago. The designer was Victoria Weick.