Respected Contributor

I sent a pair of earrings to be repaired and they replaced them with a pretty set of hoops that felt a lot lighter than the pair I'd sent.  Just a cautionary tale....you might not get back the gram weight you sent in.

Respected Contributor

I also wanted to mention a couple things regarding Eterna Gold which you might find interesting. First I have sent back a couple rings that did dent and they replaced them with a better ring. Now for the down side, I took 2 stack rings that I purchased awhile back and they didn't fit anymore. So I took them to a local pawnshop and I was shocked. They didn't test as 14K gold. I showed them the paper work and they were stamped 14K, but they refused to take them. So then I took them to a local jeweler that purchases gold and I was told the same thing by them. So now I have 3 rings that don't fit and are obviously not 14K gold. I wonder if it's like the brand that's being sold on the Q. with the resin and coated with 14K gold. It makes a person think. These were not cheap rings. The one I bought about 5 years ago and the other 2 were purchased about 15 years ago.  I don't think I would purchase Eterna Gold anymore. I have bought Aurafin jewelry in jewerly stores and that is 14K. gold 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eterna Gold

[ Edited ]

@Leeny, I think it's all in how they test. I took a 14k gold 15 gram bracelet from QVC with lots of dents to pawn shop and was also told no go on the gold. I took it to another one and while I spent $600 plus was offered $250 which I took and turned around and purchased a beautiful solid 14k curb link from eBay. Also I had lots of gold I didn't use that when the price was high sold to US Buyers including EG and was purchased by them. So I think it's all in how they test the items. 

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@Leeny, I think it's all in how they test. I took a 14k gold 15 gram bracelet from QVC with lots of dents to pawn shop and was also told no go on the gold. I took it to another one and while I spent $600 plus was offered $250 which I took and turned around and purchased a beautiful solid 14k curb link from eBay. Also I had lots of gold I didn't use that when the price was high sold to US Buyers including EG and was purchased by them. So I think it's all in how they test the items. 

Could be, but they both tested the gold differently , so I don't know what to think. One was with a magnet and one of those tools that that test with a light. And the one at the local jewelry store that I do a lot of business with did it with a computer and a wand. 

Honored Contributor

I can't remember the last TSV.  I'd be shocked if they had one.  Their inventory has been really small for some time.  I have six pairs of earrings.  Love them all.

Super Contributor

Didn't Ted always say that EternaGold was a special alloy which makes it stronger than regular 14 kt gold? 14 kt. is a little over 50% gold plus other metals to make it stronger. He never said what metals were in the mix, just like we don't know what they put into 14 kt. gold

Respected Contributor

I was thinking about them, too recently! Haven't seen them lately, either!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I've had a similar experience.   I have 2 friends in the business-- buy & sell jewelry, coins etc.    Been in the business as long as I can remember.    Every now & then I've let them "appraise" some of my gold jewelry.   My late mom purchased a few pieces from EG & my friends said the same thing about it.    It's not true 14k gold.

They showed me how they do the test.  

I'm very cautious of all of QVCs house brands, particularly jewelry.

I buy jewelry not just for the look but for the investment.  If I'm paying 14k prices, I better be getting a 14k product that will stand the test of time.

@Leeny wrote:

I also wanted to mention a couple things regarding Eterna Gold which you might find interesting. First I have sent back a couple rings that did dent and they replaced them with a better ring. Now for the down side, I took 2 stack rings that I purchased awhile back and they didn't fit anymore. So I took them to a local pawnshop and I was shocked. They didn't test as 14K gold. I showed them the paper work and they were stamped 14K, but they refused to take them. So then I took them to a local jeweler that purchases gold and I was told the same thing by them. So now I have 3 rings that don't fit and are obviously not 14K gold. I wonder if it's like the brand that's being sold on the Q. with the resin and coated with 14K gold. It makes a person think. These were not cheap rings. The one I bought about 5 years ago and the other 2 were purchased about 15 years ago.  I don't think I would purchase Eterna Gold anymore. I have bought Aurafin jewelry in jewerly stores and that is 14K. gold 

Honored Contributor

58% is 14k gold

And Ted probably has some snake oil in the back he'll sell you also

Respected Contributor

I just thought of something, you don't suppose Eterna gold is made like Oro Nuova that is sold on the Q? Just a thought.