Honored Contributor

My 2 cents: In most high end jewelry stores, diamonds are set in platinum...if in yellow gold, the prongs are mostly platinum. Why? A good diamond, a white clear stone, set in a white metal, reflects the white against white which enhances the stone. Set a diamond in yellow gold & it will take on the reflection of the yellow tint. 

Re: Diamonique. When it’s set in silver, sometimes the setting looks too bright and detracts from the stone. White gold also has shine. Platinum is more grey allowing the stone to be featured.

Contributor

It may be expensive, but have you seen that Jewelry TV has Rhodium on most of their silver pieces??

Regular Contributor

Exactly.

Honored Contributor

@AnimalFarm wrote:

It may be expensive, but have you seen that Jewelry TV has Rhodium on most of their silver pieces??

All of my silver from JTV is rhodium plated. Not tarnishing at all,  I have one platineve clad moissanite ring that is lovely.  

Honored Contributor

What ever is the cheapest for QVC.  JTV is head to toe in platinum clad.  They just about have to.  Silver is like 75% of the their entire inventory.  The rest is 10K gold that doens't tarnish. That's how they get their sales.  Not a big deal for QVC.  I dislike silver because of the tarnishing.  Even when you polish it, ****** smears on your hand.  Yuk...

Platinum is gorgeous.  It has a gleam to it. 14K white is really nothing to brag about.  Not enough gold.  It has a flat and dull look to it.  Silver sparkles like crazy when you first get it.  If you wear the same silver everyday, it won't tarnish because it rubs against your skin.  But most people have more then one piece of silver jewelry. It sits in a box to tarnish.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Epiphany Platinum Clad

[ Edited ]

What happened to the Epiphany line? I loved the pieces I bought and still wear them, some almost daily; have never had a problem with the finish wearing off, etc. I love white gold and platinum; neither are as cheap-looking as some are saying. Tiffany would not be selling either if they looked that bad. My jeweler told me rhodium and platinum are not the same thing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Epiphany Platinum Clad

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

What happened to the Epiphany line?

QVC started to eliminate QVC jargon in Fall 2015. No more "Hot Picks," "California Gold Rush," "Big Bonanza Silver," "Epiphany," "Vicenza Style," etc. Some of these trademarks came back in 2017 due to customer demand. Epiphany was not one of them.

@lovesrecess wrote:

My jeweler told me rhodium and platinum are not the same thing.

Yes, rhodium is element 45 (45 protons) found in group 9, period 5 of the periodic table of elements. Platinum is element 78 (78 protons) found in group 10, period 6.