Valued Contributor

Re: Epiphany Diamonique -- my "take" on this

@Reba055 wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

I have never looked closely at a "real" diamond... large enough to see through.  Can one see thru a real one at all? Thank you

@LTT1  Yes, you can definitely see through a high quality diamond. 

I have a 2.2 carat natural diamond engagement ring and I actually cannot see through it, because it is round brilliant cut and therefore it is not 'clear' if that makes any sense, all I see is sort of a jumble and colors, like if you looked into a kaliedescope.  It is not a perfect diamond but it is not too shabby either Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

I have never looked closely at a "real" diamond... large enough to see through.  Can one see thru a real one at all? Thank you

I have a 2.2 carat natural diamond engagement ring and I actually cannot see through it, because it is round brilliant cut and therefore it is not 'clear' if that makes any sense, all I see is sort of a jumble and colors, like if you looked into a kaliedescope.  It is not a perfect diamond but it is not too shabby either 

Respected Contributor

@tantallum wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

I have a 2.2 carat natural diamond engagement ring and I actually cannot see through it, because it is round brilliant cut and therefore it is not 'clear' if that makes any sense, all I see is sort of a jumble and colors, like if you looked into a kaliedescope.  It is not a perfect diamond but it is not too shabby either 

@Tantallum @LTT1  Yes, this is true. I guess I confused the issue. I thought you were referring to seeing through it as in clarity, not foggy or tinted. I looked at your original post again. I see now you were asking about seeing the setting through the diamond. You shouldn't see that as tantallum noted. The brilliance and fire would prevent that.  

Respected Contributor

I have a diamond ring in the old european cut and it is my favorite for sparkle and clarity of the stone. Hard to find this cut nowdays...it was the primary diamond shape used in Art Deco jewelry. So pretty and classic! I wish the Q would offer it in diamonique.

Honored Contributor

I have five diamonds in the older mine cuts or rose cuts.  I get them at local auctions dirt cheap.  These are farm or small town estate auctions where there aren't a lot of jewelry buyers in the audience.  I treasure these rings, but for everyday pizzazz I wear Diamonique or gemstones.

Honored Contributor

@Reba055... my friend can afford whatever (this is her 2nd diamond)... so I KNOW she can afford... also, my sister-in-law had a large "designer" diamond... I never saw any yellow in it... it appeared gray, if anything, and the setting was exquisite -- for her. Isn't it personal what we choose? I can see her ring on her own daughter (my niece her mom passed away two years ago) and I cannot picture it on anybody else. Maybe I can find the name of the designer...
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@depglass@silkyk@Reba055@Tantallum@hoosieroriginal

Thank you for this information.  My natural engagement solitaire is an emerald cut, but the stone is smaller (ahem -- not less loved) so it never "stuck out" very far from the setting enough to be able to tell if one could see my band beside it.

My Diamonique that is pear-shaped and 2K is rather see-thru, so I turn it away from the band.  I really like the sparkle of it (Epiphany -- 100 facet) and it is daintier than my cushion-cut stone.

It is the way the facets are done in the cushion-cut that prevents "see-thru" I am supposing.

Grayish or yellowish, the eye sees what it sees, doesn't it?  

I did return an Absolute once -- it DID look truly like glass.  It was low-end, so I'm not judging.

The Brilliante brand -- I like the sparkle, but the plating wore off a narrow eternity band (no longer offered and it was by their well-known woman designer).  The ring can be re-plated with platinum and I just might do it... each stone was separately prong-set... which is probably why it is no longer offered!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 Good for your friend!  A high quality 3 carat diamond is about $50,000. And that's not with the setting . Upwards to about $85,000. Prices jump quite a bit when you get to 3 carats. 

I have a really nice ring but you want something different once in awhile. I've tried several Diamonique's but because my real setting is platinum and heavy, they always feel cheap. I think everyone can tell it's fake. So what, I guess. But they probably can't. Every time I ask my husband if it looks fake, he usually just looks at me like, really??  Lol. Don't think he's a fan of me not wearing my ring but he never says anything. 

I really like the asscher cuts lately. Have fun with it!  

Honored Contributor

I bought the one exactly like the one in the picture.  I like it.  I own a lot of QVC diamonique rings.

Trusted Contributor

From the Diamond Registry:

The average wholesale price of a 3 carat Certified GIA Diamond would range between $ 18,150 and $ 254,430.

My SO's Mother, has a gorgeous 3 ct, round brilliant engagement ring, set in Platinum.  It's appraised at $45,000. For years, she's worn mainly her Platinum wedding band. The Diamond is in a safety deposit box, comes out a handful of times a year. She also has an eternity band, very delicate, probably a carat total weight, that she sometimes wears. 

She also has 3,Louis Vuitton bags, that are usually in storage. She loves to carry her Travelons😀

She and SO's Dad are both 70, retired Cardiologists. They worked hard, are extremely down to earth, and I think a little embarrassed by extravagance!