Respected Contributor

Re: Emerald and Diamond Engagement Ring

Here is a picture of Jacqueline Kennedy's engagement ring.

See the source image

Honored Contributor

Many engagement rings are precious gems.  The most common are Sapphires but ruby and emerald can also be there. They were more popular in previous centuries than they are now, since the diamond has become so prominent (since the 1940's)  Traditionally royalty had the sapphire as the solitaires.  There has been a small comeback for the sapphire/ruby/emerald as engement rings.

Valued Contributor

I like it, so creative and love the story to go along with it.  When I really look at them she is exotic and smoldering, and he looks like an innocent young boy, they match their ring.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Not sure!  Different!

I am doubting that is a natural emerald, but possibly lab created.

It is TOO green, too glassy and too clear.

It is almost impossible to have a real emerald look like that.

One guarantee of a natural emerald is if there are naturally included crystals/inclusions of any type.

@RespectLife I agree 100 percent about the emerald.  I don't like the design of the ring either.  But the emerald?  Nah.  Not buying that one.  

Honored Contributor

I think it is lovely---emerald is a fave of mine but looks hard to wear for everyday----

Honored Contributor

Go to the Van Cleef and Arpels web page and look at rings, filter it by the most expensive first, and you can see what high-end jewelers get for large stones.  It is pretty amazing.

So $400,000 was a deal. . . Woman Surprised

Trusted Contributor

I'd be happy with it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Go to the Van Cleef and Arpels web page and look at rings, filter it by the most expensive first, and you can see what high-end jewelers get for large stones.  It is pretty amazing.

So $400,000 was a deal. . . Woman Surprised

Very good quality emeralds do look like that.  Bottle green with very little oil.  We are used to cheaper middle class emeralds (the 2,000-5,000) range with that sick looking yellow background color.  The best and worst come from Columbia. Good emeralds command 6 figures. And they are very rare.  I'm talking natural emeralds.  Lab grown emeralds make them near worthless compared to the natural.

Honored Contributor

The pear is my most favorite cut for a diamond.  Not an emerald though.

I have an emerald cut emerald (much smaller that Jackie's!) in a wide gold band.  I love it.

I don't like the look of the ring although that is a pretty diamond and the emerald looks perfect.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm  This isn’t about a ring but I think I remember you buying a saatva mattress. If I’m remembering correctly, how do you like it? I’m considering buying one.