Super Contributor

Re: Elizabeth Taylor Jewelry ...will it sell?

On 12/11/2014 poshmini said:

I saw that ruby necklace and for $695.00 (I don't care if it's on easy pay), and it's silver tone over brass, are you kidding me? The Q must think we've not paying attention to this mess. I'd rather spend my money on real stones and precious metal, or just do without.

There aren't even that many (simulated) rubies on it!

Trusted Contributor

Will it sell??

EVERYTHING sells to those who like it.

Trusted Contributor

I liked some of the JK line and it seems to me that my pieces are well-made. They are costume jewelry and I wear them for fun. I also liked the stories.

I too think that Liz Taylor won't have the appeal that Jackie had. And the jewelry we are seeing on QVC just doesn't seem to fit the style of many of today's women. The JK collection had its own "over the top" pieces but there were many that were on the more casual side.

BTW, I really like the Joan Rivers' jewelry. The pieces I have are VERY well made and I'm impressed with them. Again, they are costume jewelry but I would never pay for the real thing and this is as close as I will get Smiley Wink

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

KJPA
Super Contributor

I don't think so. It's too lavishly detailed for most Q viewers. Yes some may like to collect some of it, but I think most women that purchase from lines like the JBK line, want to actually wear the jewelry.

A bit of bling is fine (as the JBK line had) but I think most women would not feel comfortable wearing the heavily encrusted crystal pieces from this line that I've seen so far.

Super Contributor

The man: Richard Burton

The ring: The 33-carat Krupp Diamond (now known as the Elizabeth Taylor Diamond). The stone is an Asscher cut, which has been dated at pre-1920s. According to the Gemological Institute of America, the diamond is D color, VS1 clarity and is believed to be internally flawless.

The story: Elizabeth Taylor was given a Bulgari pendant when she got engaged to Richard Burton in 1964. It wasn't until 1968 that he presented her with the jaw-dropping Krupp Diamond - purchased at auction for $305,000 - which weighs in at 33 carats. And it wasn't the first diamond of that scale given to the late star. Taylor was presented with a 30-carat engagement ring by third husband Michael Todd in 1957.

liztaylor6.jpg (550×451)
Honored Contributor

Wonder who gets rich off this jewelry? Her heirs?

Honored Contributor

I was so disappointed to hear that the jewelry will be silver-tone. I tried wearing a piece or two of the Kennedy line and there's no way, my skin reacts to the base metal (yes, especially brass). The prices for these pieces are way too high IMHO. I'd rather put that kind of money into "real" precious metals.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I think it's possible that the majority of QVC customers do remember Elizabeth in her prime. I think the majority of Q customers are of that age group. I doubt that QVC has many younger customers who would not be familiar with her, and even if there were any, they probably wouldn't be watching.

Regular Contributor

On 12/11/2014 LuvMyBichonFrise said:

The man: Richard Burton

The ring: The 33-carat Krupp Diamond (now known as the Elizabeth Taylor Diamond). The stone is an Asscher cut, which has been dated at pre-1920s. According to the Gemological Institute of America, the diamond is D color, VS1 clarity and is believed to be internally flawless.

The story: Elizabeth Taylor was given a Bulgari pendant when she got engaged to Richard Burton in 1964. It wasn't until 1968 that he presented her with the jaw-dropping Krupp Diamond - purchased at auction for $305,000 - which weighs in at 33 carats. And it wasn't the first diamond of that scale given to the late star. Taylor was presented with a 30-carat engagement ring by third husband Michael Todd in 1957.

liztaylor6.jpg (550×451)

Richard also gave Elizabeth a humongous pear shaped diamond that was featured on an ep of "Here's Lucy" and named the Taylor-Burton Diamond which weighed 69.42 carats - it almost looked like a door knob. Really far too uncomfortable to wear except for the "nyah, nyah look what I have" factor. The Krupp diamond sold for $8,818,500 after Taylor's death.

Well it will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

Regular Contributor

I bet many who sell costume jewelry will buy in bulk maybe to sell on ebay or their stores or kiosk. I wont watch, not my kind of style. The younger generation from 20's - 50's or a bit older may not buy either. The rings, who would wear a 33.19 Or 7.20 carat diamond ring? There is a pair of plain earrings for $39, rest is $70 to $400+