Super Contributor

Re: Elizabeth Taylor Jewelry ...will it sell?

Even back in the days when the Q was still fun to watch and had good variety, it was already an elephant burial ground for celebrities who were no longer pulling big bucks in the entertainment field. Susan Lucci, Victoria Principal, Priscilla Presley, I'm sure there were a lot more. Raquel Welch had a jewelry line that didn't last long, can't remember if it was on QVC or HSN. Liz Taylor is no longer with us, but I have a feeling that her line will go the way of all the aforementioned, none of which lasted. I think the main reason the JBK line did as well as it did was at least partly due to Philip Katz and his entertaining anecdotes that detailed the mystique of the Kennedy years.

Trusted Contributor

None of these pieces are my style. Even if I went to numerous formal events, they aren't what I would choose. It's interesting that there is a cross in the collection since Elizabeth converted to Judaism. I wonder if the proceeds will go to charity since Liz contributed much money and time to charities.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Trusted Contributor

I went to the auction house exhibition of her jewelry. There were a lot of pieces which could be copied for "regular" people to wear. And the Krupp diamond, in person, wasn't that spectacular.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure some will buy it though very few, and we'll be seeing clearance prices soon.

Trusted Contributor

Here's an interesting quote on Elizabeth's jewelry from Debbie Reynolds' autobiography:

"‘During my visit, one of Elizabeth’s admirers dropped off a diamond bracelet for her. It was a bit tight so I told her she might have to add a diamond or two to make it fit better. “That won’t be necessary,” she said. “I’ll just wear it early in the day when I’m not so swollen.” "

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

Will it sell? Not to me.

Honored Contributor

On 12/12/2014 Issiestorm said:

Even back in the days when the Q was still fun to watch and had good variety, it was already an elephant burial ground for celebrities who were no longer pulling big bucks in the entertainment field. Susan Lucci, Victoria Principal, Priscilla Presley, I'm sure there were a lot more. Raquel Welch had a jewelry line that didn't last long, can't remember if it was on QVC or HSN. Liz Taylor is no longer with us, but I have a feeling that her line will go the way of all the aforementioned, none of which lasted. I think the main reason the JBK line did as well as it did was at least partly due to Philip Katz and his entertaining anecdotes that detailed the mystique of the Kennedy years.

I agree with your assessment. Philip Katz did much to capture the audience's attention and imagination. And, of course, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis was such a fascinating and fashionable person in her own right. I loved Liz, but a fashion giant she wasn't. Make no mistake, she was drop-dead gorgeous and clothed in seductive outfits, but she was never a fashion icon. Not many could attain her particular look that was built on Hollywood glamour and her hour-glass figure (in the best of times).

On the other hand, Onassis had the long and lean look of many models and exquisite, more classic taste. (I actually liked her best when she went through her Pucci/dramatic gold jewelry phase with Onassis, though.) Many more people could identify with her almost boyish build, I think. Throw in the entire Onassis mystique, and you have got a showstopper.

Liz's ship has sailed, I think. If she had sold her jewelery when she was alive and during her initial White Diamonds perfume initiative, it might have had more of a chance, especially during the the '80s.

[ETA: I should write that I hope I am wrong and my thoughts are just so much blather. The economic times are rough, and if anything, business success should be applauded and encouraged. If there are many out there who love the new Liz line, I hope you buy it and enjoy it. Up with the economy!]

Super Contributor

Thank you for responding. I do think that there will definitely be some who will buy a few of these pieces - Lisa has particularly picked out the coin bracelets as showstoppers and I think there will be those who will buy those on her recommendations alone. They're actually very attractive and simple, you could wear them to the grocery store, which is not the case with most of the Liz line jewelry being shown tonight.

The tear drop shape faux emeralds, for instance, looked absolutely stunning on Liz, but they're definitely 'special occasion' pieces that could not be worn every day.

Respected Contributor

On 12/11/2014 Q2girl said: The stones in the Ruby necklace are Diamonique.

Still glass, still fake.

This line looks as fake as the JBK line. The only lovely piece from the JBK line were the 3 strand glass pearls.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

And the guy is boring.