Honored Contributor

Re: Elizabeth Taylor Jewelry ...will it sell?

Wondering who the vendor will be. Have we heard yet? It appears Lisa will be hosting.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I once read an interview with Liz Taylor in which she stated 'show me a woman who doesn't want the Krupp diamond, and I'll show you an affectation'. The only reason I would want it would be for the amount of money I could sell it for. I think as far as jewelry goes, this piece is truly gaudy and ugly.

Years ago one of my sisters gave me her book for Christmas, and she actually does have some very nice pieces (such as gold charm bracelets) from her early years. She also has some very pretty critter pins, mostly dragonflies, but I have a feeling none of those will be reproduced here.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll be watching but won't be buying. This collection isn't as nice as the Jackie Kennedy Collection.

Regular Contributor

Well they've listed more items including their version of La Peregrina which I might have been tempted to purchase if the pendant had been in ""gold"" like the real version (OTOH I have something similar from Technibond that I like better than this version regardless of the color of the metal). There are a few other pieces now posted that might be worn by ordinary women. We'll see what happens in a few hours.

Super Contributor

If they were set in real silver, I might be tempted to try one out. But not over brass.......

Esteemed Contributor

My mind is saying that although the show may attract a large audience most viewers will be there to hear the stories behind the pieces. I suspect the percentage of serious buyers will small and that this line will not succeed.

The Taylor line has been developed to replace the Jacqueline B. Kennedy line, but that jewelry was more sophisticated and was more easily incorporated into the ordinary lives most of the consumers lead. I should also add that although the JK line was costume, the prices weren't outrageous. It is not out there to say most of us aren't wearing this type of jewelry in our everyday lives, and it's not really the kind of jewelry the average woman goes to for dress up. We'll see, but again, if I were betting I'd say a few shows and gone before next Christmas.

Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

I really don't care for these celebrity lines. I guess they think that if they tell some star studded stories like with the Kennedy stuff (never saw the appeal in that stuff either) they expect it to sell. I'd rather see some good jewelry in precious metals and gemstones.

I don't buy celebrity anything. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Unfortunately, there are a lot of lemmings out there that will buy anything with a celebrity name on it. To each his/her own.

Honored Contributor

On 12/12/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 12/11/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

I really don't care for these celebrity lines. I guess they think that if they tell some star studded stories like with the Kennedy stuff (never saw the appeal in that stuff either) they expect it to sell. I'd rather see some good jewelry in precious metals and gemstones.

I don't buy celebrity anything. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Unfortunately, there are a lot of lemmings out there that will buy anything with a celebrity name on it. To each his/her own.

I don't either... and I'm particularly tired of all of them sticking their name on a fragrance. Some of them might be fabulous, but I wouldn't know. I rule them out from the get-go. I don't want a bottle of some 'celebrity' (usually one I don't even care for) scent sitting on my dresser...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I don't wear costume jewelry anyway, so I won't purchase anything from this line. I do own her book that the Q is selling and it is a great book but probably you could buy it cheaper than $65.

Respected Contributor

The set of two books ($480) is already on advance order. Did not notice advance order the last couple days so think quantity they had must have already sold.