Regular Contributor

Re: Elizabeth Taylor Jewelry ...will it sell?

I just received an email with a small post among all the others for the Elizabeth Taylor collection and went to see what's been added. They've posted a pair of earrings that they claim were ""inspired by a necklace Elizabeth Taylor owned that included the world-famous La Peregrina pearl."" They may be inspired but the setting doesn't look like the actual pendent which was in gold not silver and had a different design. If they'd actually done a replica of La Peregrina I might be tempted but I certainly have no desire for those earrings nor for anything else.

Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 brii said:

There's a ""ruby"" necklace for $700. Where do you wear something like that? Do you display it?

I thought it would make a nice teacher's gift. Just what they need.

Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 12/11/2014 brii said:

There's a ""ruby"" necklace for $700. Where do you wear something like that? Do you display it?

Honored Contributor

They'll be Red Carpet ready then. Lol
Honored Contributor

I adored Elizabeth Taylor, but I would think that the majority of QVC customers do not remember her in her prime. Thus, the potential market for anything related to Ms. Taylor is limited. To me, that would be the first barrier to robust sales.

Second, the younger demographic would be less likely to appreciate and enjoy clear, shiny stones -- unless they are smaller and real. I've never been a diamond girl, and so I myself do not like clear shiny stones very much. Yes, I like emeralds, opals and some ruby looks, but in general, clear stones do not attract me. (I mixed apples and oranges here; I know opals are not clear, but I wanted to let you know I like them. I learned too late that emeralds should not be clear.)

Third, gargantuan jewelry that is not real seems to have not many places to go. Where would these items be worn? If you have an occasion or two, that is good, but then, would you have a need to buy more of the same?

If some dramatic pieces with faux stones that appeal to me pop up, I might be interested. But for now, I am puzzled why I am not getting excited over these pieces. It has to be my absence of attraction to diamonds, I bet. Really, I am disappointed in myself for not being excited over this new offering. I LOVED LIZ! So this makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

The stuff sold under the JK line wasn't 'fine' jewelry either, but was essentially costume. Whether or not the Liz line sells will probably depend on how over the top it is and whether there's a reasonable mix of pieces between the 'honkers' and pieces that would work for everyday wear. As for Liz not being in the public eye, of course she was. She had a long and varied career and she and her relationships were often fodder for public consumption, though perhaps she lacked the mystique associated with JK.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 brii said:

If you buy 2 or more you save on s&h though.

Super Contributor

On 12/11/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 12/11/2014 brii said:

If you buy 2 or more you save on s&h though.

Only if sent to the same address!

Honored Contributor

I see our elusive ""godfreak"" has just posted about this line! Hurry and go look!

Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 Hibi said:
On 12/11/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 12/11/2014 brii said:

There's a "ruby" necklace for $700. Where do you wear something like that? Do you display it?

I thought it would make a nice teacher's gift. Just what they need. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

If you buy 2 or more you save on s&h though. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Only if sent to the same address! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Way to burst my bubble, thanks a lot, Hibi!

j/k {#emotions_dlg.laugh}