Honored Contributor

Re: Earring posts that won't fit through your ear.

@Shanus  Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

That's going to hurt, lololol. It's funny how I only have this problem with the curved posts that are often found on hoops but not the straight posts you find on hoops with DIAMONDS. Is there a reason why they can't all use the same style (and thickness) of posts? And, is this something recent? Never had this problem with any stud or hoop ever but suddenly, it's an issue. All my other earrings are fine, btw.

Frequent Contributor

@bridal_diva wrote:

This is a very interesting subject. I stopped buying earrings from QVC many years ago because the posts were too flimsy and the clutch so small it was hard to hang onto. My biggest gripe with their earrings was the findings were not substantial enough.

I feel exactly the same way. Most modern earrings have posts that are too thing, too short and butterfly backs too flimsy.

I usually only wear lever back or omega backs, and these hang nicely and the posts/wires are of good thickness. These are very hard to find and most of the earrings I see sold now are made to be lost. 

I am over 40, and my piercings are not stretched out, however, I prefer medium thickness wire or post. That's what I always wore since I had my ears pierced and my mom alwyas said not to fall for flimsy post fashion earrings as later on my piercing would shring and it would be hurtful to go back to the "regular" earrings. Nowadays all earrings are skinny short posts. After my daughter wore some of the skinny 14K studs that were gifted to her she couldn't even put on her surgical steel posts that were used to pierce her ears!

So...I think my mom was right (LOL) and we both steer clear of tiny posts.

Respected Contributor

I have this problem on older 14K gold earrings I own.  They didn't bother me years ago,  but I wear earrings less often now,  and my ears are more sensitive.   If there is a pair of earrings I want to wear I coat the post with vaseline or neosporing or bacitracin so that my ear won't be irritated when putting on the earring.   Usually,  it's fine after that.   But I find myself wearing only a few of my earring collection most of the time,   those with thinner posts and those that are lighter weight.

Most of my silver earrings don't get worn at all because the posts are too thick....especially the artisan or designer earrings.

My ears are also much more sensitive to omega backs or larger disk and stainless steel backs.  

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Shanus  Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

That's going to hurt, lololol. It's funny how I only have this problem with the curved posts that are often found on hoops but not the straight posts you find on hoops with DIAMONDS. Is there a reason why they can't all use the same style (and thickness) of posts? And, is this something recent? Never had this problem with any stud or hoop ever but suddenly, it's an issue. All my other earrings are fine, btw.

@SahmIam  Unfortunately, there are no regulations for jewelers other than stamping the metal used. It sure would make things easier. Many places do not allow trying on pierced earrings...health issues...I say, “Uh, cotton ball & alcohol?”. 

Honored Contributor

I own so many pairs of earrings I cannot count them all (my favorite piece of jewelry).  The only time I have purchased a pair with posts too thick to wear comfortably were a pair from Zulily.  They were sterling silver; the brand no longer has items there (at least not currently).  I guess I've been lucky.

Honored Contributor

I had mine done with a gun , not with a needle, and have never had any problems..My holes aren't stretched either, and I wear good earrings everyday. I sleep in them, and it never bothers me

You could get them done over, perhaps, with a gun, and see if that works

Valued Contributor

Earrings are my  favorite jewelry and I have this problem too.  For earrings that I really can't live without I take them to a local jeweler who puts new posts on for me.  They can't always do it depending on the style, but I have had two pairs re-posted.    

Respected Contributor

I have the same problem. My ears were pierced with a needle and the holes are smaller.  Once I realized what to look for, I stopped buying earrings that were too thick for my piercings.  But I held onto a few with thicker wires, wear them once in a while and always put a generous dab of antibiotic ointment on each post before putting them in my ears. 

Respected Contributor

I sincerely hope you mailed them back as defective. That way you get a full refund.Because in my opinion they are defective.

Honored Contributor

I've only had problems with one type of earring.... the ones made with a flat post.  It fits when I first put them in but they continue to broaden as it goes in.  When I clip them closed they start to ache.  This happened with a pair of 18k gold hoops I bought from QVC, and I've never had a problem wearing any other style in any of my 8 piercings (4 on each side)....  but I've never purchased another pair without looking a the posts!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*