Valued Contributor

Earring cleaning question (gold-plated) ??

I know it's not ideal for jewelery to be plated, however if you were trying to best preserve earrings that were 18K white-gold plated over 925 sterling silver... what would you recommend in terms of caring for them?

Earrings are studs, martini setting.  Everyday wear.

One thing I didn't realize is that silver cloths are not recommended.  So, I use a gold polishing cloth then?  

Do you get them re-plated regularly?  Don't shower in them?

Any tips/suggestions on general care much appreciated.  Thank you!

Valued Contributor

Re: Earring cleaning question (gold-plated) ??

Forgot to add:  are allergic reactions more common?  (18K gold over 925 sterling silver)

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23   I try to stay away from jewelry that is plated. It is difficult to clean (can't soak, use a soft cloth, etc.) and the plating is affected by showering, lotions and perfumes. 

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

Forgot to add:  are allergic reactions more common?  (18K gold over 925 sterling silver)

@Julie_23   Yes, redness, swelling, etc. Suggestions are to use Cortizone creams. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a few pairs of gold plated earrings, mostly I bought them for vacations so I don't have to bring my more expensive pieces.   I have sensitive skin and ears and I've never had an issue with any type of reaction.  The pieces are still sterling and gold, so it's precious metals against your skin which should not cause a problem.  Now "goldtone" is a whole different story.  I stay away from those pieces.

ETA: I do clean mine with a cotton ball, just FYI

Trusted Contributor

@Julie_23 

There are many websites that have excellent information about your jewelry questions! 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

Google is your friend.  I just did a Google search concerning your question, and there is a lot of info (mostly the same advice) out there.  I would link to the one that was concise, but since there were ads on the page, mods will remove my link, so my advice is to just google your question.

Honored Contributor

Look up Caribbean jewelry cleaner---and then the brand Conniseur also has a cleaner for delicate things----I use both but didn't even think about the metal over silver as far as cleaning is concerned

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everybody, for the replies!!  I really appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

Re-plating?  Around here that would be as expensive as buying real gold in the first place.