Respected Contributor

Re: Earlobe piercing closed up

Ear piercings can close up fast!  Gotta be diligent to always wear at least a simple stud.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I also noticed my pierced ears were getting difficult to insert my earrings. I had been wearing thin wire hoops or thinner leverbacks since they're secure and more comfortable w/ the masks. 

Now I changed to studs...Steel By Design because of the metal/design/thickness of the posts. I take them out every night, clean my ears with hydrogen peroxide and when I put the studs back in when I wake up, I use polysporin or something similar. It helps the posts slide through more easily. 

Esteemed Contributor

Had my ears pierced years ago.  Went to put some earrings on and all four holes are totally closed up; I was unable to put a stud thru!!!

Now, I'm stuck  I don't know where to go.  My first holes were done in a doctors office' the second set, at the mall.  Have no idea where I can get them pierced - it's scary with the pandemic.....

Contributor

It was interesting to see how many have the same problem.  I had my ears pierced as a young teenager and have a lovely collection of earings.  Because I havent had much of a social life back and forth to England to take care of my 92 year old sister I let one ear close and  now have wanted to start wearing earings.  I went to the local jewelry  shop and they said they could pierce one ear for $60.00.  I will get it done eventually but then Covid came and I did not think it a priority.  I am 81 years and determined to wear my favourite earings hope that will be soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the reminder! That's now on my to-do list for tomorrow....get a pair of studs out and work on getting them in my ears. I haven't worn any since March. I'll also try a little Neosporin on the post - good suggestion.

Trusted Contributor

@eddyandme  I had the same problem with one ear and went to Claire's at the mall.  But not sure if they would be open with Covid.

Esteemed Contributor

@kze wrote:

@eddyandme  I had the same problem with one ear and went to Claire's at the mall.  But not sure if they would be open with Covid.

Thanx, @kze .  I doubt now they'd allow piercing - haven't even been to a mall since this began.  But good idea, will look into it when things really open up.  

Regular Contributor

I would like to suggest soaking your ear lobes with very warm water on cotton balls one in front and one in back of ear this helps so much and I find its much easier and less painful...then use alcohol and neosporin .alcohol for cleaning earrings and neosporin to help slide the earring in your ear.....do this all the time and it really helps.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the reminder.  I haven't worn earrings for a long time either.  I just put a pair of studs in, the right side went OK but the left side I could get the post in but it wouldn't come out the back.  I had to poke around quite a bit until it finally went through.  Ouch!

I soak my earrings in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes and swab my earlobes before inserting my earrings.  If you don't have any neosporin, a dab of vaseline also helps the posts slide in easier.

Respected Contributor

I wear Comfy earrings. I order from their website. Very small and you can wear them day and night. No worries about the back coming off because it screws on. Love these.