Honored Contributor

My four sets of earrings represent a time in my life.... First set - I was finally 18 and got them pierced because my Dad wouldn 't allow them... later I took my Mom to have hers done and my Dad looked at her and laughed and said "I give up...." LOL, 2nd set - my first son 3rd set - my second son and my last set - when my parents died10 months apart.... 

I love them and will probably get another one, just don't know when or where.   Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

First piercing was when I was 18 in 1975; went to the downtown Higbee's store (anybody from NE Ohio?) and they just held a piece of cork behind each ear and jabbed in the stud.  They hurt and were a little pus-filled, but they evenually healed okay.  Some years later (maybe mid-80s) I got my second piercing at a jewelry store in a mall with the gun.  A lot less painful.  I know the first holes are still good (use them) but I rarely use the second holes anymore.  I think they are probably okay.

My mother used clip-ons until I got my ears done.  Gave her the courage to get hers pierced; IIRC, she got her second holes the day I left CLE to move to NYC in 1987.  She still uses both.  

She wouldn't do it  herself or let me get them as a kid.  In those days, you saw a lot of girls and some grown women walking around with thread or burn pieces of straw in their ears, done by some "lady" in the hood who pierced ears.  Most of 'em turned out okay, but you saw the occasional mistake, to be kind.  

Respected Contributor

I had my ears pierced by our family doctor when I was 15.  

As an adult I wanted to add another piercing in each ear above the original I had when 15.

Went to a place in the mall where it was done with a piercing gun.  NEVER again!  It hurt for many hours later.  

Trusted Contributor

@Maloyo wrote:

First piercing was when I was 18 in 1975; went to the downtown Higbee's store (anybody from NE Ohio?) and they just held a piece of cork behind each ear and jabbed in the stud.  They hurt and were a little pus-filled, but they evenually healed okay.  Some years later (maybe mid-80s) I got my second piercing at a jewelry store in a mall with the gun.  A lot less painful.  I know the first holes are still good (use them) but I rarely use the second holes anymore.  I think they are probably okay.

@Maloyo I'm not from Ohio, but I smiled when I saw that you got your ears pierced at Higbee's, I only know of that store from the movie "A Christmas Story". I also got my ears pieced in a department store. (Strawbridges in Jenkintown PA). They had a nurse at the jewelry counter who used rubbing alcohol on each ear then "pushed" a gold stud with a pointed end through the lobe. I was told to keep the earrings in for a month, then take them out and file down the pointed end of each earring so that they could be worn again. 

I never did file down the ends of those earrings and used them to pierce 2nd and 3rd holes in my ears. I just used an ice cube to freeze the lobes and pushed. 

Respected Contributor

I have 2 piercings (2 in each ear) and thought about adding a 3rd. I asked my husband if he thought I'd look trashy with a 3rd and he said yes, so I didn't do it. And I'm glad I didn't. For someone my age (early 70's) I think it makes you look like you're trying too hard. Or maybe that's how it would make me look. Possibly other people, not so much.

Honored Contributor

I had my first piercings done when I was 15 I think.  I had the second ones done when I was in my thirties, although I no longer use the second hole.  Truth be told, I'm not really an earring person.  I wear the same pair of huggy hoops just about every day.  If there was not an obvious hole in my ear I wouldn't wear any. (I'm not sure why I have so many pairs of earrings...)

The second holes never closed up, but they're not really noticeable.

Honored Contributor

Re: EAR PIERCNG

[ Edited ]

@Maloyo wrote:

In those days, you saw a lot of girls and some grown women walking around with thread or burn pieces of straw in their ears, done by some "lady" in the hood who pierced ears.  Most of 'em turned out okay, but you saw the occasional mistake, to be kind.  

That "lady" in the hood would numb your ear lobes w/an ice cube. 

Thanks for the memories. Smiley Very Happy

@Maloyo 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

You might still have them. If you can find any semblance of where the hole used to be, try forcing an earring through. Yeah I know, sounds bad and it can hurt. But I thought mine were gone at one time and I just stubbornly poked and poked and poked....When I got the through again I treated them like nearly pierced and put not rubbing alcohol, that other one...(oh my brain!) on it morning and night for awhile.

Valued Contributor

My first ear piercing was done by a friend with a needle and a potato. She put the potato behind the ear, can't remember why! She did a good job. The second piercing was done by a "pro and don't match each other very well.

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"... At the ripe old age of 15 I had my ears pierced by my doctor.  At the ripe old age of 13, my daughter decided she wanted her ears pierced at the mall.  Hurt so bad, she refused to have the other done.  I ended up taking her to the doctors who pierced the other ear.  The doctor had their own gold ear studs...."

Interesting. What kind of a doctor?