Contributor

Re: Donating fine jewelry in the Salvation Army red buckets

I can't wait to donate to the Salvation Army whenever I have a few extra dollars. My Dad was a WWII veteran and he always mentioned the Salvation Army were always there for the soldiers no charge, whereas, some other organizations charged the soldiers for their services. Whatever the soldiers needed the Salvation Army is always there. For that reason the Salvation Army is at the top of my list.

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 foxfinds said:

I can't wait to donate to the Salvation Army whenever I have a few extra dollars. My Dad was a WWII veteran and he always mentioned the Salvation Army were always there for the soldiers no charge, whereas, some other organizations charged the soldiers for their services. Whatever the soldiers needed the Salvation Army is always there. For that reason the Salvation Army is at the top of my list.

Same here, foxfinds. My Dad was also a WWII vet and always told me to never donate to that other big charity (you know the one). Don't want to name them here but many vets feel very strongly about that. He was a big supporter of the Salvation Army for the reason you cited.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/26/2014 FlowershopGirl said:

There are also ""other"" reasons that some won't donate money to the SA so that could very well contribute to their lower funds. Many would rather give their donations to groups who accept people from all walks of life.

They do accept them. Where people get these ideas from..oy.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 12/26/2014 NickNack said:

I don't think that's a good idea at all. I would be afraid of theft. Selling it yourself and donating the money would be much better.

I agree, and then you could 'spread the love' among several charities, instead of just one.

The biggest reason to give to the SA is that virtually no other charity is run as well on the national AND local level. No first-class travel, no running ads 10 times in two hours on the same channel (corrupt ASPCA and UNICEF please raise your hands), no massive marketing or administrative costs...and the number of people they try to help is astounding.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think it's a nice way of making something good come from of a sad situation. SA receives all kinds of donations and I'm sure this isn't the first time they're received jewelry. We hear stories every year about other items of value being dropped in the buckets.

Respected Contributor

The SA wants cash, and donating with jewelry I would never do. If a person wants to donate their jewelry, why not sell it first then donate the cash to a charity.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/26/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:
On 12/26/2014 Desi said:

I would also normally think jewelry might vanish. However, this story has gone nationwide, getting coverage on news stations and Facebook. What I don't understand is that they reported that the SA will keep the jewelry until after the holiday and then deal with it. The woman who first donated her wedding set specifically asked that the money the rings brought in be used to purchase more toys for the kids. When will that happen? I'd ask for them back and figure out another way to donate them.

What you read is incorrect whoever reported it. The two women met on Monday of this week and the widow got her rings back after the other woman paid the SA $21,000 for them. It was in all the papers. And both women found out they had been bell ringers for the SA years ago. Nice ending.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/12/23/widow-reunited-with-rings-she-donated-salv...

That is a beautiful ending!

Honored Contributor

I can understand the sentiment behind it, I would never do it. I'm just not that trusting. There is no guarantee that the charity would actually get the rings. I would sell the rings and donate the money directly. Nice story but it's been in the news since Thanksgiving.