Respected Contributor

Re: Donating fine jewelry in the Salvation Army red buckets

They serve everyone. I like them.
Honored Contributor

The only drawback I see is that fine jewelry does not enjoy a good return in the marketplace. Gold coins (Krugerrands) and gold pieces are another story.

(We have to have faith that those in charge are honest. If any organization has proved its integrity, it is the Salvation Army.)

Honored Contributor

I support the Salvation Army locally in several ways, but cannot see myself donating gold jewelry. However, I never pass a red kettle without making a donation.
Trusted Contributor

I may be cynical also but I would doubt the jewelry would get to it's intended destination. As someone else said, better to sell it and donate the money. I didn't see any donation kettles when I was out and about this season. Years past they used to hang out at Walmart. I didn't see any this year.

Frequent Contributor

On 12/26/2014 circles said:
On 12/26/2014 NickNack said:

I don't think that's a good idea at all. I would be afraid of theft. Selling it yourself and donating the money would be much better.

ITA.....

I heard the other day that they fell short in donations this year...by a huge amount....that is very sad....

I noticed this year that there were far fewer bell ringers out. I never pass by without giving a few dollars. I think I only encountered two or three the whole season.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

On 12/26/2014 va603 said:
On 12/26/2014 circles said:
On 12/26/2014 NickNack said:

I don't think that's a good idea at all. I would be afraid of theft. Selling it yourself and donating the money would be much better.

ITA.....

I heard the other day that they fell short in donations this year...by a huge amount....that is very sad....

I noticed this year that there were far fewer bell ringers out. I never pass by without giving a few dollars. I think I only encountered two or three the whole season.

(My bolding)

Yes, I also noticed that there weren't any bell ringers at the stores where I shopped. They were at these stores last Christmas, and I wonder why they weren't around this year? I'm thinking someone might have complained. {#emotions_dlg.sad} I just donated directly to them this year.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

Oh my.... I'm another one who thinks that the jewelry will never make it to the charity....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Well, all of you are wrong who think the jewelry won't make it to the charity. Another woman bought them for 10x their value and gave them back to the donor who was a widow. What a great story! As to criticism of the Salvation Army, they have denied discrimination in hiring but remember they are a church and a church has the right under civil rights law to inquire into a person's beliefs before hiring them.

http://foxct.com/2014/12/15/widows-rings-bought-from-salvation-army-for-21000/

Respected Contributor

I would also normally think jewelry might vanish. However, this story has gone nationwide, getting coverage on news stations and Facebook. What I don't understand is that they reported that the SA will keep the jewelry until after the holiday and then deal with it. The woman who first donated her wedding set specifically asked that the money the rings brought in be used to purchase more toys for the kids. When will that happen? I'd ask for them back and figure out another way to donate them.

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Desi said:

I would also normally think jewelry might vanish. However, this story has gone nationwide, getting coverage on news stations and Facebook. What I don't understand is that they reported that the SA will keep the jewelry until after the holiday and then deal with it. The woman who first donated her wedding set specifically asked that the money the rings brought in be used to purchase more toys for the kids. When will that happen? I'd ask for them back and figure out another way to donate them.

What you read is incorrect whoever reported it. The two women met on Monday of this week and the widow got her rings back after the other woman paid the SA $21,000 for them. It was in all the papers. And both women found out they had been bell ringers for the SA years ago. Nice ending.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/12/23/widow-reunited-with-rings-she-donated-salv...