Occasional Contributor

Donating fine jewelry in the Salvation Army red buckets

While waiting for family to arrive Christmas morning, I heard a little story on the radio about people donating precious jewelry in the bell ringers' buckets. It sounded like it was something that was growing more common in some areas of the country. At first, I thought that maybe items had slipped off people's hands when tossing in coins. But the story said that notes were included that explained that the engagement and wedding rings etc. were intended as donations. In the case of failed relationships, I think that it is a sad but incredibly generous and kindhearted gesture.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Donating fine jewelry in the Salvation Army red buckets

That jewelry will never see a charity, someone will take it.

Contributor

The Salvation Army is a very giving and caring organization. They do so much for communities. Thank you for sharing this.
Honored Contributor

More work for the SA.......now they have to sell it

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don't think that's a good idea at all. I would be afraid of theft. Selling it yourself and donating the money would be much better.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/26/2014 NickNack said:

I don't think that's a good idea at all. I would be afraid of theft. Selling it yourself and donating the money would be much better.

ITA.....

I heard the other day that they fell short in donations this year...by a huge amount....that is very sad....

Honored Contributor

I think the SA suffers now a days because most people do all their shopping using credit cards. So when they are walking past the bell ringers they don't have that handful of change that everyone used to have and would drop in the bucket.

At least for us - I know - we have rewards cards so we buy everything possible using the cards to get bigger rewards.

Trusted Contributor

There are also ""other"" reasons that some won't donate money to the SA so that could very well contribute to their lower funds. Many would rather give their donations to groups who accept people from all walks of life.

Honored Contributor

I don't see why the jewelry would be any more susceptible to theft than the cash placed in the containers every day. And while it does require the Salvation Army to take an extra step (to sell the jewelry), they do have stores so they're accustomed to selling goods. I guess I don't understand the criticism of those who wish to give to others who are less fortunate.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

On 12/26/2014 FlowershopGirl said:

There are also "other" reasons that some won't donate money to the SA so that could very well contribute to their lower funds. Many would rather give their donations to groups who accept people from all walks of life.

ITA. I wondered why they would ever voice their opinion, I've always given to them before but will give to another organization until they change their stance.