Honored Contributor

Does natural Morganite fade over time?

I have a Chuck Clemency tennis bracelet, morganite in rose gold.  I was examining it the other day and the stones appear almost clear, not peachy pink.  I think what color there is might be reflecting off the rose gold.  My matching ring seems OK. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does natural Morganite fade over time?

I have the bracelet, a pendant and matching earrings.  They all seem fine.  

Maybe it is just your lighting.  Hope it is OK.  It is so beautiful!

Respected Contributor

@depglass ... Lucky you to have a morganite tennis bracelet! I'm really not sure of the answer. I do know that many natural gemstones receive special treatments to enhance their color...for instance, heat treatment.

I remember years ago that Colleen Lopez used to do a commercial stating that many of HSN's gemstones receive special treatments to enhance their color. She said that some of the treatments were permanent and others would fade over time. Here is an article about color enhancements of gemstones: https://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/heat-treatment.php

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Trusted Contributor

Why don't you take it to a jeweler to get an opinion? If you do, please post the result. I'd be interested in hearing what s/he has to say.

Respected Contributor

@depglass  I definitely have heard of Kunzite fading from too much sun exposure, but I haven't heard of that problem with Morganite.  All of the Morganite I've seen from Chuck has been very light......the only good colored stones are ones I remember from over 20 years ago, when it was very abundant.

Here's what I'd do.  Get a piece of your jewelry that has an actual white stone or stones in it (like white topaz, white quartz, or even a large CZ) and put it next to the bracelet.  Then compare them.  You should still be able to see a significant difference between the two.

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have a beautiful Morganite ring by Michael Valitutti that is about 18 years old, set in yellow gold, diamonds on the side, and it still looks as vibrant and sparkly as it did when I received it.

They did mention at that time that it would fade in direct sunlight, so not to wear it every day to the beach, etc. 

I keep mine in a closed jewelry box, and wear it occasionally, and no problems at all.  It is a very rich peach/pink and people tend to ask what it is when I wear it; very striking rectangular cut too.  I find it goes with just about everything....

Love it!

Honored Contributor

According to the GIA, on their website, Morganite is usually heat treated to bring out the more desirable peachy pink color tones. Once treated, the stone’s color is stable.

Trusted Contributor

! have a pair of Morganite earrings and a couple of pendants that I've had for at least 5 years.  Can't say that I have noticed any fading in the color.  They are only worn occasionally so that might account for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I sold fine gems for 5 years and was trained by a gemologist.  Morganite's color should be stable.  Have you cleaned it in cleaner or washed your hands with soap getting soap on the bracelet?  All semitransparent stones do absorb soap which causes a permanent milkyness.

Kunzite, which does permanently pale in sunlight, is also called the Dracula stone.

Honored Contributor

None of my morganite or kunzite jewelry has faded.  Some of it is more thn 10 years old too.