Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone remember Dan Dennis??

@Shelbelle wrote:

He sure does know his jewelry, especially gemstones, he wrote a book on gems years ago, and was Paul Deasy's mentor into the world of gems too.

The guy could tell the difference between a sapphire and an emerald, LOL.  So can anyone else.  LO,  I read his book.  He was ok.  But far from an expert who can recognize any gemstone within seconds of seeing it.  All TV hosts are required to attend and graduate as a "gemologist" at the GIA.  Including the Q.  But like others who take a course, some wind up as very good, others not so great.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

He sure does know his jewelry, especially gemstones, he wrote a book on gems years ago, and was Paul Deasy's mentor into the world of gems too.

The guy could tell the difference between a sapphire and an emerald, LOL.  So can anyone else.  LO,  I read his book.  He was ok.  But far from an expert who can recognize any gemstone within seconds of seeing it.  All TV hosts are required to attend and graduate as a "gemologist" at the GIA.  Including the Q.  But like others who take a course, some wind up as very good, others not so great.

This is not true.  The only host at QVC that I know of who is a graduate gemologist is Nancy Hornback.  

I don't know if anyone on HSN is.  Shivan Sarna might be.  Even Colleen Lopez isn't a graduate gemologist.  

I believe all hosts are required to have some training and knowledge but they are not required to be a graduate gemologist.

Contributor

Now there's a blast from the past.  I remember about 20 yrs ago he attended a gem and jewelry show, of which I was the Show Director.  We were a fairly young show then and I went up to him and thanked him for attending the show.  To which, he pulled out an 5x7 black & white glossy picture of himself and proceeded to autograph it.  After he handed it to me he said he would send me an autographed copy of his new book.  I didn't ask for anything, I was just greeting him.  I kid you not.  When he turned and walked away, I'm sure I was still standing there with a dumbfounded look on my face.  Funny memories.

Super Contributor

"Cheesy" channel? ShopLC got affordable prices and beautiful jewelry. Dan Dennis is OK to me

Honored Contributor

Melissa Miner on Evine is a graduate gemologist, an so is Shivan Sarna on HSN.