Contributor

Does anyone else miss turquoise with matrix?

I remember turquoise from years gone by that had beautiful veins of copper running through it. Rings and other pieces of jewelry would be large stones showcasing the matrix. Now it seems all I see is Sleeping Beauty Turquoise with no matrix. It's not as interesting. I was talking with a friend at work who happened to be wearing a beautiful ring that was a large single cushion cut stone surrounded by beautiful silver. It had the matrix I remembered. She had gotten it years before while a student in Arizona. I want that kind of ring. I'd be interested to know if only the older generation feels this way since we are the only ones who remember turquoise stones that looked interesting. As an aside I agree with one of the other posts about the SBT shortage. We will hear this for years to come as they keep finding more hidden caches - each one more expensive than the last. Remember tanzanite is rare because all the mines have closed. We've been hearing that for the last 15 years that I can remember. And yet we still keep seeing more tanzanite.

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else miss turquoise with matrix?

I have to agree, I find the turquoise with the copper veins much more interesting and natural looking.

I think the SB turquoise looks like blue plastic.

Honored Contributor

I personally love the turquoise with the matrix too. I also LOVE a more green turquoise, but not the lime green color I've seen. And would NEVER buy the purple--that LOOKS like it was dyed. Turquoise comes in all colors and I really like pieces of jewelry that incorporate all colors. And I do know that most turquoise is enhanced somehow.I don't have much in my wardrobe but what I have has the matrix.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I do not miss it. Some turquoise had too much matrix for my taste. I always preferred the blue turquoise over the greenish.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Abrowneyegirl said:

I have to agree, I find the turquoise with the copper veins much more interesting and natural looking.

I think the SB turquoise looks like blue plastic.

ITA. I prefer the green turquoise w/the copper color matrix.

All were bought in the southwest while on vacation & made by the Native Americans (who put their initials on the piece).

Respected Contributor

When I was growing up in AZ, I used to get lots of Native American.jewelry as gifts. My dad knew a Navajo man who made a turquoise ring and silver cuff with inlaid turquoise for me. As a teen (1980s) I used to.go.on shopping trips with my.mom to Sedona, and I always found a ring, necklace or earrings to buy. I could afford it with my babysitting money back then. All of my.turquoise had matrix, and some had different shades of blue/green as well. It seemed more natural and organic. Now everything looks too pure and perfect. Jmo.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I do Virginia Shopper. I love sleeping beauty as well but would love to see more designs honoring the matrixed beauties. We have a ""turquoise lovers"" forum thread which talks about all kinds of turquoise. Some of the pictures posted are breathtaking. Have fun seeing all that eye candy!
Honored Contributor

I can recall (fondly) when the major focus point of the descriptions by the hosts was the wonderful matrix. Now, all of a sudden (it seems), the focus is on the turquoise with zero matrix. I agree, while it's pretty, it just doesn't look as natural as that with a matrix. I have one SB turquoise ring and have no interest in buying more.

Frequent Contributor

I only buy turquoise with matrix, actually the more the better. Could be the age group. I will be 64 on Thursday. Personally I don't care for SB. Nothing. For me to look at .
Trusted Contributor

I prefer some matrix as well. I'm assuming with all the SB hype, a huge amount of it was bought up by QVC at a low price and they are having all their vendor use it. Then, they inflate the price by frantically telling us the mine is closed.