Contributor

Does Platinum Clad wear off?

Years ago, I purchased a Diamonique Platinum Clad ring and the platinum wore off very quickly on the back of the ring - within about 2 - 3 months of normal daytime wear.  I never purchased another platinum clad ring because it.  Wondering if this is a common occurance or if maybe the ring I received was defective. 

Today I fell in love with a ring (The Amy), but not sure if I want to take the chance again. I'd love to hear about your experience.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Platinum Clad wear off?

Yes it will wear off and on rings it wears off faster. Clad is a type of plating and when it starts to wear thin on the silver then you'll see it tarnish in spots.

Respected Contributor

In my experience, the platinum coating does wear off rings which are worn daily.  I have a 3 stone DMQ platinum coated ring wich was very popular.  I wore it for years and it looks beat up.  Shank is dull and pitted looking.  Earrings do much better as they are not subject to all the wear a ring gets.

Honored Contributor

I sold fine jewelry for 5 years.

Platinum clad means there is a thin layer of platnium.  These rings should be worn on dress occasions only.  Every day wearing will expose the other metal.

Contributor

Thank you for the replies.  I'm tempted to just stick with buying sterling silver, but that Amy ring is so pretty.  As suggested, I can save it for special occasions.

Valued Contributor

In the same vein, Jewelry Television offers a boat load of rhodium over silver jewelery. This will wear off as well. It is such a waste of money to buy gems with these settings that last for just a short while. Who wants to try to take them to a jeweler to be re-plated? Not me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Platinum and Rhodium wears off.  Anytime from 6 months to 10 years.  Depending on what jewelry you have on.  Rings are the first to go.  Because you wash your hands frequently & exposed to chlorine. Gold wears off silver, same situation. Even super tiny flecks of gold comes off wearing solid gold. If you're wearing black, you can see it. 

JTV is fascinating. Almost everything, except for solid gold (10K and all) is covered with either Rhodium or Platinum.  What a TV Network!  QVC only offers the covering occasionally.  If you love silver, be prepared to clean them after wearing them. Otherwise let it tarnish quickly.  Or wear silver 24/7.  They won't tarnish then. I have a silver ring my husband gave me 12 years ago.  Have never taken it off...ever.  Has never tarnished.

So true about buying jewelry from JTV..  It's fun for a while, but you're wasting money on the stuff.  I have gemstones made from solid 18K & platinum from Gem Shopping Network,   And it's worth the money to have jewerly that will last forever.

Honored Contributor

Yes, platinum clad, gold clad will rub off.  I don't buy it because it doesn't last.