Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Wear Brooches or..

@ECBG wrote:

Pins are very attractive IMO.  I have an antique bar pin from the 1020's.

I wouldn't use them with a silk scarf, but I would with a cotton scarf.  Pins also look nice on a blazer lapel, or on the side of your chest. It just depends on your style.

Gold, Ruby, Emerald and Diamond Clip-Brooch, France | Fine Jewels | 2021 |  Sotheby's

@ECBG 

Very pretty!   

Honored Contributor

I alwys think pins and brooches can make any outfit look outstanding and noticeable. I love looking at them and admire women who wear them.

I have a celtic beautiful sterling silver one I got from a QVC Irish show that I still love, and a reindeer one from JCPenneys one year and a Kirk's Folly snowflake one.

But every one, the pin lock part now just falls out. I have tried bending it, wearing those magnetic closures, then gave up. All the ones I've ever had seem to go this way after lots of use. I have put the reindeer on other things around the house at Christmas time. Maybe I'll do the same with the celtic one. It is so pretty.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Pins are very attractive IMO.  I have an antique bar pin from the 1020's.

I wouldn't use them with a silk scarf, but I would with a cotton scarf.  Pins also look nice on a blazer lapel, or on the side of your chest. It just depends on your style.

Gold, Ruby, Emerald and Diamond Clip-Brooch, France | Fine Jewels | 2021 |  Sotheby's

@ECBG 

Very pretty!   

@Tinkrbl44 

Thank you.  This is a google pic, not myself.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Sure, as soon as I can get to it.  My bedroom is getting painted as I post this.  As soon as I can get to my things. I'll get a pic for you.

From what I understand, it is the quality of the sapphires that make it so expensive.  I wonder what color I should use as a backdrop so that the color shows up.

Honored Contributor

I love a JR bee pin in unexpected places like the cuff of a coat or sweater.  Sometimes a magnetic mechanism if don't want to make a hole.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I gave a friend a set of Joan Rivers interchangeable bees; she chose to wear one on the back of her shoulder!

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

I had the pin unlock from a beautiful very large broach my DIL got from an artist and gave to me for Christmas.  

The very first time I wore it, it fell off in my hand when I leaned over!!!

I put the bar through the lock, and super glued the lock shut.  I put a chain through the bar and have a beautiful pendant!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I wear pins/brooches quite a bit. I have some that my grandmother bought me when I was a little girl (mostly Christmas) and I have the pins that my mom wore. I've bought my own too and added them to my collection. 

I wear them on jackets, coats and even on my hats (yes I wear a variety of hat styles, too - I've been doing that since I was a kid).

I recently bought a vintage snowdrop pin. We always have snowdrops in the yard and they were blooming in January before the really cold weather made them hunker down for a warmer day.