Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Wear Brooches or..

[ Edited ]

I never see them on women.  But than my environment is a university campus. Something you would not see to begin with. I do see them in estate shows on Gem Shopping.  You know the kind, dripping in diamonds and platinum.  Some are nice, but a lot are gaudy. This is a passe style even when I was child.  I don't know  anyone who wore them. The were probably gone by the 1960's. Plus it damages your clothing.  And you can stabbed by them.  Just because they are made out of 18K or Platinum, they can hurt you. Some of the ones I liked that I saw can be used as a brioche or as a pendant.

Esteemed Contributor

I have some that were given to me each yr at Christmas and a few that I bought. I still wear them , however am fussy abt which apparel I pin them to  since they can damage  your clothing by leaving unsightly holes or pulling the fabric. I have a hat that has a brim on it like a beanie style  where I attached some pins .

Honored Contributor

I have quite a collection of pins I used to wear on the lapels of suits I wore to work.  I think you rarely see them nowadays because women no longer wear suits to work, at least most don't.  I did put one turquoise pin on the headband of my red straw cowgirl hat.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I still do! Always get compliments when I do. I saw a lady in a plain Demin jacket she had several pins on it, so cute!

Honored Contributor

I have dozens of JR pins I purchased a decade ago when she was presenting copies of her "real" pins. I also have several that were inherited...gold or platinum with stones.

I wear them on my jean jackets (3 at a time) or other jackets and the shoulders of sweaters. It doesn't bother me what's "in" or "out". I've always dressed for myself.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

ETA: my entire comment. (user error)

I love brooches and pins. I wear them on my purse every day. Had a Heidi Daus elephant pin on that fell off in the parking lot but was returned to me. I guess it was a lucky pin. The closure is now bent and needs repair, so I have to deal with that.

I pin seasonal pins on the bag, but also pin them on coat lapels and anything else that seems to need a pin.

Regular Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@HonestLife 

I own several brooches/pins. I seldom wear them, but I do love them. My beautician wears them all the time. She has told me she finds many at estate sales. I just don't have anywhere to wear them.Woman Sad

@HonestLife wrote:

Pins anymore? I have several but I don't see many women wearing them anymore. I have a couple from the 1920's from my great Aunt and some from my Grandma. I also have some from Joan Rivers. I still love them. 

I wear them on the V of a V neck sweater - where the two sides of the V have to be pinned shut. (At the decollete/cleavage area.) So a pin can be used in the center, as opposed to the side- I have a number of vintage pins- colorful stones- really nice blues, aurora borealis etc....and although I don't use them as often I think they can be worn integrated in with your modern chains etc...I'm holding on to them...you will see when flea markets start happening again- vintage jewelry is still a collectors item. 

Regular Contributor

Sounds gorgeous! Sapphire bee pin!!!!

Honored Contributor

The ones I see on Gem Shopping are amazing!  They are antiques.  Some are from the 1920 to the 1950's.  Of course these are the fine jewelry kind.  Precious gem stones, diamonds & set usually in 18K or Platinum for white jewelry.  They usually pop up for antique or estate shows.  The ones that can convert as pendants are quite nice. I think they did disappear because of women no longer wearing suits and hats.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t have any but when my son was little he loved frogs and he gave me a sterling Honora Frog with a green pearl. It’s always on the collar of my denim jacket.

Edited to add, I’ve been watching last 2 seasons of Good Witch and Martha Tinsdale wears really pretty pins.