Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Wear Brooches or..

YES!!! I love my brooches, I have lots. I'm 66, for reference. I wear them often, mostly to church right now, but I do tend to wear them more consistently in the winter on coats and jackets. Sometimes I use one to pin a wrap over my shoulder. I ALWAYS get compliments and comments on them, men in particular seem to really like the larger more sparkly ones. I have a fun articulated snowman from Lunch At The Ritz I purchased from QVC years ago, I wear it all winter and children love it. Lots of movement and sparkles. My favorite is Joan Rivers Lovebirds Brooch. I had saved her QVC presentation of that piece for years until QVC took it down, just a precious few minutes with her. She asked "If you wonder if there's a God, look at a bird." Wear your pins, take delight in them. Think of the workmanship that went into them. On your coat, hat, wrap, purse, or a pillow in your home. Maybe other ladies will catch a little spirit and wear theirs.

Respected Contributor

Like several other posters, I wore pins  on  my suits when I worked full time.  My aunts and mother had a lot of pins that I now have and wear with jackets.   I wore seasonal pins when growing up and still do on my coats and jackets.   I love pins and brooches and will continue to wear them whenever I can.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

I have many pins and brooches, most were my mother's.  At one time. I wore them on my blazers and dress coats but I don't dress like that now.  My life is more casual.  I do sometimes wear pins on my denim jackets. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't worn pins since stick pins were in style MANY years ago.  I would like to get one or two Irish sweater/scarf pins though. 

Trusted Contributor

I love pins/brooches, but I don't wear them anymore.  I remember the suggestion of pinning them on a plain throw pillow as another way to display and enjoy them.

Also if there is some way to attach them to a mat and add a frame and hang this on a wall to display.

Loved Joan Rivers pins and other's such a Kenneth J. Lane and Nolan Miller.

Trusted Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

My daughter's wedding bouquet was completly fahioned of brooches and pins. I gave her a bunch from my mother's 50's and 60's fashion jewelry collection...a  lot of different brightly colored flowers. My contribution was a small 14k bee with ruby eyes that I bought from a catalogue. Friends of hers and relatives of the groom donated a few and she had some from vintage stores and flea markets. It was lovely and different!

How unique!  I would love to see a photo of this.

There was a museum exhibition a few years ago of past Sec of State Madeline Albright's pin/brooch collection. She was a great collector. I didn't go but the promo looked spectacular.

I remember reading an article that Madeline Albright's "pin of the day" would indicate her mood or the current situation she was dealing with!  Would love to see her collection.

Valued Contributor

@DottieBlue  what great idea's you've given me! I'm going to use them in my home. Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

@DottieBlue  what great idea's you've given me! I'm going to use them in my home. Thank you!

You are very welcome.  I hope sometime you could post some photos of what you did.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have many of them. I especially loved collecting animal pins, such as cows, spiders, bees, lizards, etc.  None were costume jewelry.

I have a blue sapphire bee pin set in 18k.  I once took it to get a new clasp because the original one was bent and kept opening.  The jeweler wanted to buy it from me at a ridiculous high price.  I refused because it was a gift from my husband.

When I told husband that the jeweler wanted my bee and told him how much she offered, he said he paid three times what she offered me.  The sapphire stones are rare and perfect.  I have had it appraised. It is the most expensive piece I own...even more expensive than my wedding set or five stone 2 ct. diamond anniversary band ring or my diamond tennis bracelet.

Yikes, I used to wear that pin for everyday and with the old bent clasp, it fell off a few times. Now, I save it for special occasions. 

I have willed my bee pin to my daughter-in-law.  Her name is Melissa, which means honeybee.

I really enjoy wearing pins....even on an jacket or coat or on the cuff of a blouse.

@Carmie 

Your bee pin sounds stunning ....  got a photo of it to share?  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

@Leeny  I have a black wool satin lined swing coat that I still wear and pin my brooches on the collar./placket. So I guess nobody sees them unless I wear the coat in winter. 

@HonestLife 

Sounds gorgeous!   Back when I lived in a colder climate, I had a stunning black wool winter coat ... my "dressy" coat.  I always had a pin or brooch on it, usually changing it every month or so.   

BTW, for anyone interested .....

HOW ARE PINS AND BROOCHES DIFFERENT?

So, what is the difference between a brooch and a pin? The truth is that there really isn’t much of a difference! Both terms are interchangeable in today’s fashion world. Perhaps it's more the estate-and-antique-jewelry lovers who call them brooches, while most other people call them pins. Although we have to admit, brooch sounds a little more traditional.