Valued Contributor

Does Anyone Wear Brooches or..

[ Edited ]

Pins anymore? I have several but I don't see many women wearing them. I have a couple from the 1920's from my great Aunt and some from my Grandma. I also have some from Joan Rivers. I still love them. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Wear Brooches or..

@HonestLife 

I own several brooches/pins. I seldom wear them, but I do love them. My beautician wears them all the time. She has told me she finds many at estate sales. I just don't have anywhere to wear them.Woman Sad

@HonestLife wrote:

Pins anymore? I have several but I don't see many women wearing them anymore. I have a couple from the 1920's from my great Aunt and some from my Grandma. I also have some from Joan Rivers. I still love them. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Leeny  I have a black wool satin lined swing coat that I still wear and pin my brooches on the collar./placket. So I guess nobody sees them unless I wear the coat in winter. 

Respected Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

Pins anymore? I have several but I don't see many women wearing them. I have a couple from the 1920's from my great Aunt and some from my Grandma. I also have some from Joan Rivers. I still love them. 

I have them on my coats, all Joan Rivers ,and I love them too. People always remark about them and I know it's because they don't see many people wearing them. 

Trusted Contributor

I have at least a dozen beautiful brooches...many from my great aunt who had impeccable taste...I used to wear them on denim jackets but that look is now fallen by the wayside. I occasionally put one on a ruana when going to church...but we have had to do virtual services lately. Talbots showed a great look last year where they would show two or three of them on a velour   hooded track jacket. It looked great, tried it with two of my smaller pins, and actually got a compliment. I don't think my age group is super fashion-conscious now due to Covid. All dressed up and nowhere to go! If you love your pins, I say put them on a sweater or jacket and wear them! They are also good to put on a wool scarf if it isn't too think.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have many of them. I especially loved collecting animal pins, such as cows, spiders, bees, lizards, etc.  None were costume jewelry.

I have a blue sapphire bee pin set in 18k.  I once took it to get a new clasp because the original one was bent and kept opening.  The jeweler wanted to buy it from me at a ridiculous high price.  I refused because it was a gift from my husband.

When I told husband that the jeweler wanted my bee and told him how much she offered, he said he paid three times what she offered me.  The sapphire stones are rare and perfect.  I have had it appraised. It is the most expensive piece I own...even more expensive than my wedding set or five stone 2 ct. diamond anniversary band ring or my diamond tennis bracelet.

Yikes, I used to wear that pin for everyday and with the old bent clasp, it fell off a few times. Now, I save it for special occasions. 

I have willed my bee pin to my daughter-in-law.  Her name is Melissa, which means honeybee.

I really enjoy wearing pins....even on an jacket or coat or on the cuff of a blouse.

Respected Contributor

I don't see people wearing them but I have several and I'm not letting go of mine.  They will be back.  I wear now and then but not like I use to.  I dress differently than before.

Esteemed Contributor

A nice way to wear them is as a pendant; all you need is an adapter finding ( available on Amazon and Ebay).
Honored Contributor

I have one of my mother's on today.  I have a short neck and it's cold out, so I put on a bulky turtleneck sweater.  It was driving me crazy in front with it continually rubbing my chin, so I pulled it down and the brooch is holding it in place.  Looks pretty too.

Trusted Contributor

I love the look of brooches on jean jackets.  I have a small collection (all costume) and enjoy wearing them.