Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Own Any Herkimer

I guess I'm the odd one out. 

I bought a pair of hoop earrings after seeing one of Colleen Lopez's presentation of "Herkimer diamonds" last year (the show where she came back from her vacation for one day just to sell them because she was so excited to have them on).  When they arrived, they looked like nice hoop earrings made of clear resin or lucite "stones."  I didn't think they had any sparkle at all, but they were nice.  I returned them because they just didn't match Colleen's description of spartkling, diamond-like earrings to me. 

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I have Deb's earrings that were a TS on HSN a while back. Beautiful! Always get a "where did you get those?" when I wear them. I got them to go along with a vintage necklace of BIG Herkimers that I picked up years ago at a flea market and neither the seller or I knew exactly what they were. I like them as much as my diamonds.Need more! lol

omg what a find! How did you find out the necklace was Herkimer diamonds? @silkyk

Super Contributor

I have quite a few Herkimer pieces from Deb Guyot. I love them. I probably wear one of her bracelets and earrings more frequently than any other jewelry that I have. I just like the energy of the pieces. I especially like the lever back earrings. and the thin gemstone/herkimer bracelets for layering.

People call them Herkimer diamonds because they sparkle more than regular quartz, but they are quartz and not diamonds. Herkimer quartz differs from other quartz in being more sparkly, having slightly different properties, and coming out of the earth as double terminated crystals. They are one of the oldest gemstones on the planet, if not the oldest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MizKringle wrote:

I have quite a few Herkimer pieces from Deb Guyot. I love them. I probably wear one of her bracelets and earrings more frequently than any other jewelry that I have. I just like the energy of the pieces. I especially like the lever back earrings. and the thin gemstone/herkimer bracelets for layering.

People call them Herkimer diamonds because they sparkle more than regular quartz, but they are quartz and not diamonds. Herkimer quartz differs from other quartz in being more sparkly, having slightly different properties, and coming out of the earth as double terminated crystals. They are one of the oldest gemstones on the planet, if not the oldest.

Those would be zircons, not quartz.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

I hadn't heard of Herkimer diamonds until a few years ago.  Saw them on HSN a few years ago and wondered whether they would be worth having since I'm not much of a diamond fan.  I'm a sucker for a sparkly gemstone.  I'll be on the lookout for them in the future.  Guess I should pay closer attention!

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MizKringle wrote:

Those would be zircons, not quartz.Woman Happy

You are right. Zircons can be over 4 billion years old. Herkimer quartz are about 500 million years old. But I think that herkimers are among the oldest. Thanks for the info. Woman Happy

Super Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

I hadn't heard of Herkimer diamonds until a few years ago.  Saw them on HSN a few years ago and wondered whether they would be worth having since I'm not much of a diamond fan.  I'm a sucker for a sparkly gemstone.  I'll be on the lookout for them in the future.  Guess I should pay closer attention!

I love them. Just know that the designs on HSN for this stone are light weight. I personally like that in these peices. Just don't expect substantial silver. Despite this, I've found the jewelry to be pretty durable. When it comes to other designers, I definitely want substantial silver/gold. The HSN herkimers have more of a boho vibe, but some pieces can be a bit more tailored. 

Respected Contributor

I own one pair of Herkimer Diamond earrings. They are pretty but not as flashy as a real diamond. The design was very unique and not a cookie cutter type earring. I was pleased with what I got.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Super Contributor

OMG, I almost caved in and got that one too. I have a few pieces, the three piece silver bangle set, love them. Once i put them on, they stay for weeks until I rotate. Did it run true? Glad you love it.