Respected Contributor

Re: Do you wear much jewelry especially after retirement.....

DH is retireing soon.  I plan on wearing my Tahitian pearl strands just as I did the day before the retires.   I wear them to the grocery store and even days I stay at home.

For ladies who have things they want to get rid of, there are the obvious ebay to unload them.  Or if you have a lot of items open a esty store.   For nicer things Loupe Troup and Diamond bistro.

Honored Contributor

I'm not in the workforce but I'm not retired so...can I still contribute, lol?

When I was working, the jewelry I wore was minimal and very conservative. Nothing flashy, no bling, just very plain and simple: it was essentially dictated by my career choice. 

When off hours, 180 degree difference: I love large items be it earrings, bracelets, rings or a pendant. Not working has allowed me to wear the items I love with no issues. I don't wear a necklace; the rare time I do, it's a LONG chain with a large pendent. My earrings usually hoops. I have a pair of gold studs, pearl studs and diamond studs that are worn with the appropriate outfit but since I'm mainly casual, anything really goes. 

I always have on a bracelet (either a statement one/stack or 3 bangles), one large ring on my right hand, one on my left and hoops. Been doing that for as long as I can remember, lol.

Honored Contributor

I've pretty much worn the same thing before and after retirement.  Always a watch, a bracelet on each arm, and a ring on each ring finger.  The rings come off for housework or heavy cooking, but stay on at night for sleep.  Pendants and earrings are optional depending on length of hair and what neckline I'm wearing. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not retired but I do work from my home office now, I never go into the office now.  I decked myself out in jewelry when I went to the office and I still do it, even on the days when I don't leave the house.  I think it's because I wear my jewelry and my watches more for myself than for other people.  I like typing on my laptop and looking down and seeing my beautiful tanzanite ring and my white ceramic watch.  Between my phone and the computer...I don't even need the watch!  But it's gorgeous...lol  It's like with makeup.  Every morning, I do my makeup and hair just like I would if I were going to the office.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i don't wear the variety of pieces that I did when I was still in my corporate career. I collected gold bracelets, most of which "live" in the safe deposit box at the bank now. I never take off a gold curb link bracelet on my right wrist. If I go out, I usually wear my favorite gold hoop earrings, Classic gold watch with black leather band, and basic gold omega necklace. It works, whether I'm in a tunic or untucked shirt and capris or a little black dress. I miss wearing some of my pearls, so sometimes I still toss on the beloved short baroque south seas strand with a crisp white boyfriend shirt!

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy wearing my jewelry each day. Selective when I purchased items and fun to put on each morning. Many items are gifts for special occasions; sweet memories. Even if I'm doing housework I put on earrings and necklace. Semi-retired (working post retirement from education) and wearing jewelry hasn't changed.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

This is an interesting question; it looks like I may finally get to retire next year, and I've started thinking about this.

For many years I was a homemaker and mommie and I always dressed and decked out in jewelry--earrings, necklace and maybe a couple of rings-- before my husband came home.  After he passed away, I went to graduate school and then started working so I definitely wore at least earrings, a necklace and a bracelet or two.  When I married again, we started a small business together, so I dressed for the office in conservative businesswear and earrings, a necklace, a brooch on my lapel and a bracelet or two.

Now that retirement may be on the horizon, I have thought a bit about all this jewelry that has found its way into my jewelry amoire.  I'e been culling through it and passed a lot of it on to my younger sister.  My best pieces will go to my daughter eventually.  Meanwhile, it seems reasonable to assume that I will return to my old habits--dressing later in the day and wearing earrings, a necklace and a bracelet or two--more when we go out. 

Time will tell. 

Honored Contributor

No I don't--used to always wear a watch  everday and had many to choose from. I wore necklaces too and always earrings--always---and I will put earrings on but not for home much,  usually when I go out tho. I had a ton of sterling jewelry as well as 14kt gold, but never wore them so I sold them and made a few thousand$  each time I went to the jeweler who bought it from me. 

Esteemed Contributor

i haven't worn any jewelry for years....just gifted my jewelry to my daughter and teen granddaughters.....makes me smile when i see them wearing it....that's exactly why i give them what they would inherit before i "pass"......so i can see them enjoy it......wouldn't be able to see that when i'm six feet under......

Respected Contributor

I wear the same amount of jewelry now as when I was working.