Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take off your wedding set?

I have been married 42 years and have never taken off my wedding band.  I do take off my engagement ring and eternity band sometimes for cleaning, etc.

Honored Contributor

The longest they were off of this hand was surgery, because the doctor made me.  My sister and niece were waiting in recovery for me.  Sister said, I was out of it, reached out my hands and my niece asked her, in which order do I give them to her.  Sister said, give all three, she'll know what to do and my niece was amazed I put them on in perfect order while still out of it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I take it off right after I come home. I would never cook or clean wearing my rings or bracelets.

Trusted Contributor

I only take them off for repair or cleaning.  I have had since age 16, it has been worn camping, laying out at the beach, gardening and even into surgery, my finger gets wrapped with tape then.------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I know some people feel very strongly about never taking them off.  Mine come off all the time.  Housework, showering, sleeping, etc.  If I know I'll be home all day I don't even bother putting them on.  I'm not a person who is particularly sentimental about "things."

Trusted Contributor

I take it off more now than I used to.  When DH had my ring redesigned to add more diamonds to it as an anniversary gift, the jeweler who originally made our rings told me that the central stone was badly scratched but he would grind and polish it when he redesigned the set.  After that, I started taking it off when bathing, cooking, gardening and so on.  Always wear it when I leave the house, because I really love it, but I don't want to damage it.  I don't think wearing your rings has much to do with your love for your husband or your committment to your marriage, but that's just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Wedding Ring ( had a florentine gold basket weave 1/2 inch band made to hold my engagement diamond ) and all jewelry comes off at night and only goes back on when I get dressed to go out every day.  Forgot: my ankle bracelet stays on except for my pedicure appointment.

No jewelry gets worn to the hospital --- works for DH and myself.

Meant to post after I used the jewelry steam cleaner I got at Christmas:  only $99 and so worth it --- unbelievable sparkle from pure steam !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I've been married over 40 years, and do not wear rings.   I wore a wedding band until the early 80's when I mashed my finger so badly it actually bent my ring.   In the few short minutes it took for me to walk up the basement stairs to my kitchen, my finger was literally swelling before my eyes, and I just did get my ring off before my finger looked like a sausage.   Since then, rings have never felt right on that finger, so I do not wear them.

Trusted Contributor

I wear my wedding ring all the time.  I wear an anniversary band on my right hand all the time, too.  I swim daily, clean, cook, kayak, paddleboard, and everything else with my rings on.  About the only thing I take them off to do is to paint a room, if I remember.  Gold and diamonds are very durable.  I am afraid I would lose my rings if I took them on and off all the time. 

Respected Contributor

There are certain times I do not wear my rings.

When I work out, cleaning, gardening and other things of that nature.

When I was first engaged my now husband asked me not to please NOT wear my rings when at the barn where we kept our horses.

He does the same with his ring.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield