Respected Contributor

Re: Dirty looks over wearing nice jewelry~

Absolutely.  I wear my mother's 1.59 carat diamond that she left to me. Checkout clerks give me the side eye. 

But I'm an obese person and I notice that when I shop in other stores, I'm taken more seriously because of it.......LOL   

Sometimes if I'm not being taken seriously, I wrap my hand with the ring around the strap of my shoulder bag so it's very prominent. 

It's a game. Reminds me of when I got contact lenses in my 20s and people started telling me how pretty I was.  I was still the same person. 

Honored Contributor

I change my rings and earrings often.  I'm not sure about "nice" jewelry" I think all mine is.  Expensive???  Maybe it depends where you wear it.  Be careful.  

Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@FormerOCGirl:  Perhaps they are a little jealous. They think you're wearing real diamonds! Smiley Tongue

Or maybe they are so big and obviously fakes, that people think they're in poor taste.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

You sure you're getting looks of displeasure because of jewelry?  Seems rather odd.

I think its odd too.  I have been around older ladies or just ladies in general who wear lovely pieces of jewelry.  People usually receive compliments on lovely jewelry.  I am not understanding why you feel people are giving you an attitude.  I use to work at a hotel front desk and when a lady would come in with lovely jewelry we would always compliment her.  I remember one lady in particular she had a lovely diamond and it was an unique cut.  Several of us told her how lovely it was.  She said after 30 years of marriage she recevied the ring.  She was all smiles.  A piece of jewelry always has a story and most women love to tell their story.  

Honored Contributor

I tend to wear smaller more delicate jewelry so have never experienced what you are describing. 

Honored Contributor

I never really paid attention to diamdonique so I guess it is rather *belieavable* in person.  What is the size of the stone?

I don't wear any jewelry now because of the mask and the gloves. I feel funny wearing a necklace if I'm not wearing at least my wedding rings and/or earrings.

If someone gave me a dirty look for an unknown reason---I'd smile at them!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

My bet? Other people could give a hoot what jewelry you are wearing.  I think you think that's the case. Sorry, but that's my take on it.

Honored Contributor

I'm having a hard time figuring out why you would be geting dirty looks over a piece of jewelry.    Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Seems like maybe there's some other reason?  I feel like I must be missing something.

Honored Contributor

If somebody was giving me the side eye, I would have no idea why unless I had just done something to deserve it.  Now, if I was dressed totally inappropriately for the situation I was in I would expect some looks.  And I'm someone who might stop at Lowes on my way home from church and goes to the grocery store or out to grab a bite to eat in my yard work clothes. 

For the person who flashes their jewelry to get more respect, that wouldn't work on me.  I treat everybody like a regular person.  We used to have a bigwig boss that everybody was terrified of.  I would occasionally run into him in a store and just have a brief conversation with him.  People I worked with were horrified.  I think it was just that he never smiled even when he made a joke so people thought he was being serious.   Well, that and the fact he sorta looked like Hitler.  Hahahahaha! 

Valued Contributor

@FormerOCGirl: Maybe you should wear Pearls instead 

what-did-lady-gaga-wear-today-gigantic-pearl-shoes-edition.jpgWoman LOL