Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Dirty looks over wearing nice jewelry~

I have noticed something for quite some time now...other women acting miffed when I wear my sparkly diamonique. As a woman I enjoy keeping my nails done and wearing some pretty jewelry but all to often I get flack and condescending looks from other women when I’m out and about. If I’m wearing a ring with a substantial stone it’s not because I’m trying to appear vain or uppity...I’m just attracted to that size of stone. To me jewelry is one of the feminine joys of life and is to be enjoyed. I just don’t understand the nasty attitudes. Why is it that carrying an expensive bag and wearing luxury labels is okay and yet wearing some bling on your finger seems to evoke such negative reactions? Do any ladies here deal with this as well? Thoughts?
Honored Contributor

Re: Dirty looks over wearing nice jewelry~

I don't own any large stoned jewelry so haven't had this issue.  If you have these things and you like them, then I wouldn't worry about it.  You're not bothering anyone and its your right to wear whatever you liike.  Enjoy!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

There are always a few who like to judge and find displeasure in others whether it's gender, skin color, style, hair, etc. Otherwise, IMHO, I think it's in the imagination.  Who knows what people are thinking. They could be thinking of something going in their lives, people not taking precautions for the pandemic, unemployment, or a dozens of other things. 

Honored Contributor

You sure you're getting looks of displeasure because of jewelry?  Seems rather odd.

Honored Contributor

Since you cant tell what they are thinking you dont know for a fact that it is because of your jewelry.  You cant control what people think.  Dont waste your time letting it bother you.  Wear what you like.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

You could say "they're not real diamonds" to make it clear you wear them for enjoyment and not as a status thing.

Respected Contributor

No, I have never gotten dirty looks over jewelry or noticed anyone else getting them for wearing bling.  How do you know the "dirty looks" are about jewelry?  

Esteemed Contributor

I like larger gemstones too and wear some nice ones.  I mostly wear earrings and rings, so I never wear too much bling at one time.  Sometimes I do consider where I am going to be that day when accessorizing, as yes I have been looked at oddly before and believe it may have been the jewelry.    When we travel I wear all Diamonique but when I'm home I always wear real stones.  I mostly wear what I enjoy but at the same time try not to flaunt.

Trusted Contributor

@FormerOCGirl    Maybe it's insecurity on their part.  Just enjoy what you have and don't worry about what they think.  Life is too short to figure out the attitudes....

Respected Contributor

@FormerOCGirl:  Perhaps they are a little jealous. They think you're wearing real diamonds! Smiley Tongue