Honored Contributor

Did I miss this new fad? Foot long earrings

Kelly Clarkson had on glittery earrings Monday night on The Voice.  There were several strands about a foot long.  Assuming you don't have small children that would love to yank on these, would you wear them?

Valued Contributor

Re: Did I miss this new fad? Foot long earrings

@depglassNot something I would consider, but then I don't like real loose or dangly. I waer clothing and jewlery, but I don't like it to "get in the way" of what I'm doing. 

Floppy sleeves dragging through my work or meal isn't for me.

Earrings that are heavy or long would again be something that would be a bother. 

I suppose for some special occasion it might not be bad. But, not when I am busy doing something.

There's also that years later effect where the ear lobes stretch out of shape. Our ears keep growing as it is, so much longer ears with large holes in them isn't a look I want.

More power to those that like them and can pull off the look. Just not something I'm investing it.

Respected Contributor

@depglass   Very scary for me.  I have enough problems not geting my finger or my hairbrush caught in my conservatively small hoops as it is!  Seriously, I've accidently yanked earrings out in the past, and I sure don't want my cat playing "mousey" with my earrings!!!   Cat Surprised

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't.  My choice is a small stud or huggie hoop, but that's why we have choices.  I believe most of these "costumes" are worn by people while on camera.  I do not think they dress anything close to that in their everyday life.  It's all for show and attention.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 3 pair of dangle earrings but not in any exaggerated length. That style is not for me as well as the tassel "thing". 

Honored Contributor

What performers wear on stage really is costume more than anything I assume is a trend, but no, in my life there's no way I'd wear anything close to Kelly's long earrings.1

One of my tasks some years ago was to clear the home of an aunt of mine whose retirement job was playing piano which she did everywhere from neighborhood resaurants to clountry clubs and private homes in the Hamptons.  What she wore for those gigs and what she wore in her everyday life was different.  I still have some of the wilder pieces, but I wear only a fw bits from her everyday finds.

Honored Contributor

I didn't see the earrings but she's on tv, I don't assume that things celebrities wear translate into real life.  From the description, they sound silly and dumb so I wouldn't wear them even if I saw women in real life wearing them.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wore them back in the early 90s - there was a

name for them - shoulder dusters - they are nice if very delicate - otherwise too much - they only look good if you have a long, slender neck - I probably should not have been wearing them with my neck - they would hit my shoulders - if you notice those ugly tassles went out of style really quick

Trusted Contributor

Fads were never my thing, and most certainly not in my dotage.  At my age my primay concern is not to look ridiculous!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Something in fashion is always breezing through.  Will it be a fad or stay in mainstream fashion?

(These have already had their day, thank goodness.)