Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Diamonique Not The Same As Days Gone By

Just remember when buying Moissanite,  there are different grades.  Go to the Charles and Colvard site and educate yourself before buying.  The stones set in silver are the bottom of the line.  The good stuff is set in 14kt.  To my eye, they are more beautiful than diamonds.  Its worth saving for the better stones.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I bought a couple of pieces years ago, but I'd much rather have a real stone. White Zircon or Topaz would be better. If the stone hardly costs them anything, and the metal is being sold for $16.00 a ounce, I see no reason for the high prices. Even gold stud earrings are terribly high in cost. There isn't that much gold in that little setting to make it cost that much. I know gold is up around $1,700.00 an ounce, but stud earrings weigh what, a gram. I doubt I could sell 1 gram of gold for $100.00.  I gave up on plated, filled or vermiel years ago. It eventually rubs off and whatever the metal is under it isn't shiney. It's just not the same as the real thing. The folks at HSN has/had Technibond, same thing it rubs off. They have always made a big deal about Diamonique, but it's still not real. They used to say a jewler couldn't tell the difference without a loupe. Too many jewlers could see it across the room, they don't say that now.

Honored Contributor

I’ve posted this “whine” before, so don’t read if you’ve already seen THIS tale of whoa with my name on it.

For YEARS, I’ve wanted the Love Ring, in 14k yellow gold. I missed it in its first version, had no interest in the clad or Sterling version, recently found the new and not improved version.

The original 20 years ago version had white gold or maybe rhodium plated prongs and basket. The new version? Yellow gold prongs and basket. QVC, WHY? Can the price differential be SO GREAT between the beautiful white pronged version and the NEW (not) improved current generation?

This is quite obviously an upscale rendition of 14k Diamonique. WHY THE CHANGE FROM THE ORIGINAL??

I would buy if there were white metal prongs holding the center stone, but for this version, I’ll take another pass.

Honored Contributor

When Diamonique was set more often in platinum clad, the settings looked heavier, more substantial. The stones should be in a sturdy setting similar to how a real diamond is set...for a ring, earrings or bracelet, the stones are either basket set w/ prongs or bezel set. There are too many settings in silver with the shanks/bands of rings much too thin to duplicate an actual setting of a diamond.

Silver is too shiny a metal for a “diamond” which is either set in white gold, yellow gold or platinum. This is a dead give away that the stone is not real & to my eye, the shine of the silver distracts from the stone.

Q needs to review the basics of jewelry design and construction and stop trying to get so “fancy”. Their designers are way too out there and it causes the Diamonique pieces to look fake. 

I own many pieces from 20 years ago...many in gold & platinum clad that cost half what the silver pieces are now. They are set in the same way as a diamond. I really have have to keep the Diamonique studs in a separate baggie (&  labeled Diamonique) from my diamond studs...same carat weight and I can’t tell the difference w/o my loupe.

Honored Contributor

@Barb114 wrote:

Tuned in today to check what's new. Well, a great new bracelet (thought I would purchase),but the cheapest clasp in the world, a fold over. The opal ring looks like a flea market cheap find. What is going on with QVC? Also, an eternity band, a definite Cracker Jack box

I have  not purchased diamonique in a ahile.  I have a tacori ring  I purchased years ago and it is lovely.  I also have a diamonique ring in Black Hills Gold.  Both pieces from Q.  The diamonique in the black hills gold is lovely.  It sparkles.   

Victoria Wiecks stones are amazing.  Bella Luce on JTV are beautiful.  I know on Evine and JTV they will tell you the grade of the moissanite they are selling.  I have not checked if Q has the grade of the moissanite.

Respected Contributor

I find all the beautiful older pieces of diamonique that I wanted but missed over on ebay. If what I want is not listed I save the search and they email me when the item is listed by someone. I found so many of the older diamonique pieces this way.There was a pair of blue diamonique earrings I wanted (but sold out fast and never came back) and after 5 years (!!!) a pair was listed! Scored! Try there for the good old stuff that was true quality. Today's diamonique....meh.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I find all the beautiful older pieces of diamonique that I wanted but missed over on ebay. If what I want is not listed I save the search and they email me when the item is listed by someone. I found so many of the older diamonique pieces this way.There was a pair of blue diamonique earrings I wanted (but sold out fast and never came back) and after 5 years (!!!) a pair was listed! Scored! Try there for the good old stuff that was true quality. Today's diamonique....meh.

I used to get GREAT pieces in the “as is” section here too, but with the ascent of gold prices that source is pretty much gone. Every once in a while though......