Honored Contributor

Re: Diamonique - Do you tell people it's not real?

I consider the question "is that real?" to be the height of rudeness, and so, when I have been asked that I simply refuse to answer. I don't wear diamonique rings - I wear only my wedding set and a garnet & diamond ring DH gave me for our 25th anni. but I do wear pendants, necklaces and earrings.

Respected Contributor

I don't wear ""honking"" fake stones as they all look fake to me no matter who is sporting them.

I wear believable sizes and no one has ever asked me.

Valued Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 1/15/2014 Pearly Shells said:

So sad to see so many people comfortable with fibbing or outright lying. Which is worse, the insensitive stranger who asks or the person who lies without hesitation?

"Lies without hesitation"? Seriously? How about "plays holier than thou without hesitation"?

Just because some fool asks a question doesn't mean you are obligated to answer it. There are a lot of people out there who ask questions that are really none of their business. If you're under oath, that's one thing, but tacky and nosy people really don't deserve to know that which we care to NOT disclose. There's a thing called boundaries, you know.

Tnkrbl44 What a great comment! Couldn't have said it better. I can never tell the difference. I have a 2 carat diamond ring of quite good quality and seriously I cannot tell the difference between it and a good quality diamonique. People that say they can look at Diamonique and tell immediately that it is fake crack me up. When I have been to the jeweler they have to get out their little loupe to tell if it is real or not. If it is a quality "fake" it is very hard to tell the difference.

Super Contributor

On 1/20/2014 lboone said:

I have the opposite problem! I don't wear Diamonique, but I have several very nice pieces of jewelry that are set with zircons. My husband's hobby is collecting gemstones, and he has designed and had several very nice pieces of jewelry made for me. When people ask what the stones are, because they really are quite lovely, I often get the reply "Oh." when I tell them they are zircons. I KNOW they are thinking cubic zirconia when they hear that. Drives me nuts. (Some people do know, but many do not. I have had many great conversations with people over my jewelry that started out "that is a lovely garnet you are wearing, or whatever gemstone. They obviously know a little more about gemstones, and we can have a nice conversation.)

Interestingly enough, one of hubby's favorite gemstones is a sphene. I have several beautiful pendants that never fail to get compliments. But people have no idea what it is when I tell them.... I only have pendants because it is too soft for a ring, IMHO.

I usually see sphene represented as titanite - it's confusing when there's one or more names for a gemstone or mineral.

So does your hubby have a single brother with the same hobby! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I tell people that everything I own is FAKE............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

No one has ever asked....

Honored Contributor

Just look coy, wink & say, "yeah, I'm THAT good!".

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of beautiful jewelry including diamonds. I do wear some diamonique, but no one asks me.

Honored Contributor

Don't ask .... Don't tell. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Rude to ask, so I'd just smile and walk away. Let them figure it out. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Contributor

On 1/13/2014 Arianny said:

Hi all. Just wondering if any of you tell people that you are wearing Diamonique, or if you let them believe it's real. I received a beautiful Diamonique ring for Christmas from my husband (my request of course!), and one of the girls in my office just noticed it today. She asked me questions (when did I get it, who got it for me), and I know she thinks it's real. I could never afford the carat weight that it is in real diamonds. Should I tell her it's not real, or just go on letting her believe whatever she believes? She didn't ask if it's real or not. Your thoughts?

My wedding band is an original 14 carat gold setting with a 2 1/2 carat round diamond in the center. I get many compliments on the ring. I own SEVERAL rings from the Diamonique line. They are all low carat weight. I get compliments on them all the time. I just reply with a smile and a thank you. I think because of the choice of lower carat weight, no one has ever asked if they are real. My friends just believe they are. Smiley Happy