Super Contributor

Re: Diamonique - Do you tell people it's not real?

Yes I usually do.

New Contributor

I used to always say it was not real, but people seemed almost dissappointed. Now I just say "thank you". I did tell my boss the truth, because I do most of the check writing in my office, and I didn't want her to think I was writing some for myself. The only other time I tell the truth is when it's someone I know might like to own the piece,and I want to let them know that they can afford it.

Some responders have said they can't imagine people think it's real. People have chased me down the hall to tell me how beautiful my jewelry is. I guess I don't care if it's real as long as it's pretty.

Frequent Contributor

I have the opposite problem! I don't wear Diamonique, but I have several very nice pieces of jewelry that are set with zircons. My husband's hobby is collecting gemstones, and he has designed and had several very nice pieces of jewelry made for me. When people ask what the stones are, because they really are quite lovely, I often get the reply "Oh." when I tell them they are zircons. I KNOW they are thinking cubic zirconia when they hear that. Drives me nuts. (Some people do know, but many do not. I have had many great conversations with people over my jewelry that started out "that is a lovely garnet you are wearing, or whatever gemstone. They obviously know a little more about gemstones, and we can have a nice conversation.)

Interestingly enough, one of hubby's favorite gemstones is a sphene. I have several beautiful pendants that never fail to get compliments. But people have no idea what it is when I tell them.... I only have pendants because it is too soft for a ring, IMHO.

Honored Contributor

I agree with LexPlex. I was taught not to ask personal questions. If an acquaintance was fishing to find out the value of a stone, I would just reply, "glad you like it, thank you"...of course if someone is a good friend I might volunteer the information.

Frequent Contributor

I primarily get the compliments from patients and salespeople. Like another respondant, I am developing a collection of a few wedding sets in DMQ/Epiphany because I LOVE bridal jewelry. I change them around depending on my mood, and especially when I am going to work it gives me a lift in mood. I don't like the bigger carat sizes, and am reveling in the 1.5 carat solitaires this month... they're amazing and sooo much fun. I'll tell if I have a nice lady who compliments my ring, but most of the time I smile and say "thank you".

Respected Contributor

I would NEVER ask someone if their jewelry was real-So classless & tacky!

Regular Contributor

I always said it was diamonique. Most of it is beautiful, especially the old pieces I own. Never pretended to spend thousands on jewelry, so not me to do that.

Contributor

Of course I never tell them. If they ask if it's real, I reply "yes." After all, it's a "real diamonique!" They didn't ask if it's a real diamond!

And I agree with Luvmycats.. asking someone that IS classless and tacky!

Respected Contributor

I don't tell, but my earrings are smallish.

Honored Contributor

Yes, if someone is crass or tacky enough to ask.