Honored Contributor

Re: Diamond studs smaller than .25 total carat weight; what would they be?

@SahmIam wrote:

I have a pair of diamond stud earrings from 30 some years ago I purchased in Europe. They are tiny and I love them for my 2nd or 3rd hole; the sparkle is over the top. A friend of mind wants to purchase a pair for her daughter graduating from HS and I have no idea what size they are. I've gone into a few jewelry stores to ask and here is what I've found:

*don't carry .25 in stock

*don't carry anything smaller than .25 at all

*don't know what size they are, sorry.

I've compared them to the individual studs that are. 25 and yes, mine are a wee bit smaller. I've gone online and there are a few sites that specialize in piercings that are VERY high quality stones but...can't tell from their site what size to choose from that would be what I have.

Also, these sit flush to my ear where as all she and I have been able to find are set up off the ear....she wants them flush as well.

There HAS to be an easier way of doing this, lol. Any help/suggestions? TIA

So if I am understanding you correctly, your diamonds total weight are about 20 points and ten pointers each ear? If your friend is looking for something similar try Blue Nile. You can build a pair of diamond studs with various color, clarity and cut..... all with the setting of your choice.

If you are shopping at a brick and mortar jewelry store just ask for a parcel of diamonds that are graded VS, F/G color and an excellent cut. Your friend can choose the ones she likes and have them set. She needs to go to a high end jewelry store ....not a mall jeweler that is a chain.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I have a pair of diamond stud earrings from 30 some years ago I purchased in Europe. They are tiny and I love them for my 2nd or 3rd hole; the sparkle is over the top. A friend of mind wants to purchase a pair for her daughter graduating from HS and I have no idea what size they are. I've gone into a few jewelry stores to ask and here is what I've found:

*don't carry .25 in stock

*don't carry anything smaller than .25 at all

*don't know what size they are, sorry.

I've compared them to the individual studs that are. 25 and yes, mine are a wee bit smaller. I've gone online and there are a few sites that specialize in piercings that are VERY high quality stones but...can't tell from their site what size to choose from that would be what I have.

Also, these sit flush to my ear where as all she and I have been able to find are set up off the ear....she wants them flush as well.

There HAS to be an easier way of doing this, lol. Any help/suggestions? TIA

So if I am understanding you correctly, your diamonds total weight are about 20 points and ten pointers each ear? If your friend is looking for something similar try Blue Nile. You can build a pair of diamond studs with various color, clarity and cut..... all with the setting of your choice.

If you are shopping at a brick and mortar jewelry store just ask for a parcel of diamonds that are graded VS, F/G color and an excellent cut. Your friend can choose the ones she likes and have them set. She needs to go to a high end jewelry store ....not a mall jeweler that is a chain.

Blue Nile's custom earring feature allows you to create earrings no smaller than .46 carats.

They do offer a pre-made selection of earrings as small as .25 and .20 TCW but the settings do sit high on the ear and the stones may be so-so.

I have heard good things about Brian Gavin. They do customize earrings and one can choose from a variety of different settings on their web site, as well as diamond pairs. The pairs go down to .25 TCW in size.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help!

In the end, I found an online site that caters to piercings and has studs (and many other designs) that are tiny but gorgeous!!  Maria Tash is the name of the designer, so my friend will be working with her to get exactly what she wants.

As someone mentioned, unless you want to order loose stones and then have them set, the chains and big department stores don't go smaller than .25 ctw. Even at that size, the color and clarity are pretty crappy. Like I said, I have a jeweler I deal with but didn't want to do the 2 hour round trip to see him just to tell me what size earrings I have. The chain stores in the mall (since I was there) were either clueless or simply didn't give a ******. I didn't word it  as "hey, can you tell me what size these are?" I asked "do you carry any diamond studs smaller than .25 ctw"?  A few told me that earrings that size aren't made. Oh really? Than what the heck am I wearing in my ears?

Yeah, it was a waste of time but I thought since I was already there.....

Honored Contributor

I'm with OP.  I'd love a pr 14k rose gold and 14k yellow gold diamond or moissanite studs, with .10 ct in each stud, for my second holes.  Back in 1975, I bought a pair and I cannot find them anywhere.   

Valued Contributor

Go to a good jeweler.  They should be able to make the earring you are looking for.

Super Contributor

Your diamonds might be cut wider and that's why, even though they're small, they do not go through your piercing. They might only be .20 pts since you've compared them to .25 cts diamonds and yours are smaller.  I have a 2ct marquies engagement ring. I went with this particular diamond, out of many, because it was cut wide and not as deep. Why pay for what you can't see, right? Meaning a deep cut diamond, where most of my diamond would normally sit , can be seen because it's cut so wide and looks so much bigger than deep cut diamonds. Unfurtunetely, jewelry stores can sell and say that a diamond is .25 pts when in reality is might only be .20 pts. So, I recommend that your friend go to a small jeweler and pay the extra money to choose the diamonds, have them weighed in front of her, and then have them set. She can choose wider diamonds so her daughter's earrings are showing more of the diamond and they will set more flush against her ears.

Sorry for the very long message. I'm a huge jewelry lover. I have 2 jewelers. One that I buy my good jewelry from and the other to do small repairs. I trust them because I've been dealing with them for years. Most people that work in jewelry store malls know little about what they're selling. Most were hired because they have a history in sales, and that could be selling apliances.

If you could go with your friend they would be able to measure your earrings to let you know what the ct wt is. Let is know how things turn out.

Honored Contributor

I own 1/2 carat diamonds for each ear.   They are set in platinum and purchased from Neiman Marcus.  I wanted to sell them but no one will look at anything under one carat.  I have not worn them in quite a few years.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I own 1/2 carat diamonds for each ear.   They are set in platinum and purchased from Neiman Marcus.  I wanted to sell them but no one will look at anything under one carat.  I have not worn them in quite a few years.

@Katcat1...have you tried earring jackets? I bought a pair of pretty diamond jackets that enhance the diamonds. I was doing the same and not wearing mine. It was like a brand new pair of earrings. They look somewhat like a halo design. 

Honored Contributor

Over the years I've found that most jewelry store employees really don't know much about jewelry.  If you find one that does, cherish them and give them your business.  I once had some Peruvian blue opal earrings that I wanted to find more pieces to match.  The woman looked at them and said "Are you sure these aren't plastic?" They were set in 14K.   Good way to lose a customer.