Super Contributor

J295163

That's what this is: 16 inches of gold dental floss; it's 1/16th of an inch in diameter, and it contains 1.8 grams of gold and they're charging $159.00 for it. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Maybe there are buyers who think that because it's got the name Vicenza on it, it's a good deal. It is NOT.

And I wonder how many will be returned after the "chain" breaks. And they certainly will break eventually; maybe sooner than later.

<h1 class="fn"> </h1>
Super Contributor

And you started this topic because ....

Trusted Contributor

BetttyWrecks, I agree with your post. For a shopping channel that boasts quality, selling an item like this negates that claim. That necklace will be trash after trying to wear it the first time!

Super Contributor

QVC has been selling thin gold chains for over 20 years. Where have you been?

Super Contributor
On 5/13/2014 ennui1 said:

And you started this topic because ....

...because I can.

Super Contributor

Fortunately, we live in America where NO one forces anyone to buy ANYTHING.

1.8 grams of gold has a raw value of between $80 & $90 dollars, but that's just for the gold and doesn't take into consideration fabrication, distribution, etc of jewelry. Usually, that will double the price of the raw gold. $159 is a fair price for that amount of gold content.

That said, what's wrong with thin, fine gold chains? I own a number in varying lengths. Some are older than I am and have been worn for many years.

Recently gifted a new great grand with one of my baby chains & cross. It's 70+ years old. Had a goldsmith replace the bail and change the older type clasp to an EasyLock. Makes it far easier for mommy to put on and remove.

Honored Contributor
I giggled when I saw this because YEARS ago some mamas would fasten necklaces to little girls with dental floss so that the necklace couldn't fall off. Now we can buy it made from 14k gold! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

I remember when my crafting friends used to dye dental floss for stringing beads into jewelry. Also for restringing pearls.

I didn't inherit any crafting genes. When they were giving out crafting and gardening genes, my mother was too busy flirting with the lifeguard in the gene pool. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 violann said: I giggled when I saw this because YEARS ago some mamas would fasten necklaces to little girls with dental floss so that the necklace couldn't fall off. Now we can buy it made from 14k gold! Smiley Happy

LOL!