Esteemed Contributor

Deciding to get rid of certain jewelry

What criteria do you use when you look through your fashion, bridge, or silver jewelry when you decide to donate or sell it?

I looked through my House of Ivana jewelry and decided to donate them all to a store that benefits a charity. The watches all needed batteries and I don't want to wear them anymore. I never wear the spider pins and the earrings are too long and gaudy looking for my taste now.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Deciding to get rid of certain jewelry

Mostly it's changing taste or the jewelry is not comfortable.

Jewelry worn when I was younger doesn't suit me anymore. Some of my earrings or necklaces now feel too heavy and I can't wear them.

Once I bought a pearl necklace set and for some reason it caught the fine hairs on the back of my neck so I gave up on it.

Stretch bracelets that are too tight or too loose.

Any jewelry I no longer wear I donate to my favorite charity.

Trusted Contributor

Jewelry styles I would no longer wear, jewelry I still appreciate but were never comfortable, jewelry I look at & say, "What was I thinking?"

Honored Contributor

Not into jewelry as my younger days. Gifted high end pieces DDI and have put away special family heirlooms for GD. Today almost ordered Diamonique 14k white gold *love* ring. Decided 369.00 to high for CZ. Never purchased costume jewelry.
Honored Contributor

About 4 years ago when gold was selling really high, I got rid of most of the 14k gold jewelry that I didn't really wear anymore to the tune of over 3large. I don't buy costume jewelry unless it's hand made, so I never get rid of it. I have some sterling I don't wear any more that I'm ready to donate. 

Respected Contributor

I have sold gold jewelry in lots to refinery's multiple times because I had too much and inherited my moms.

The collection I have left much of which goes unworn but I haven't chosen to tear it up or sell it.  At some point I may sell more but unelss I send it to a refinery will not get as much as it is actually worth in gold weight so there it sits.  

Last week I was speaking to some one on a forum who said they loved golden south sea pearls.  When I asked what they had in their collection they said they didn't have any.  I gave her a pair of dangle earrings and a loose pearl for a pendant and sent it to the UK.   That is how pearl girls roll......

Honored Contributor

@TY  Five or six years ago, I chose to sell almost every piece of (yellow) gold jewelry I had because I don't wear jewelry like I did years ago, I don't wear (yellow) gold and gold prices were really good when I did this.  Walked our of the jewelry store that bought it all with a $5K check in my pocket.  A nice payoff yes, did I get what I spent on all of it? probably not, but good enough for me to drop into my savings account. This huge parcel was mostly items I paid for, a few pieces were gifts. Did this bother me? no. I did keep very few that did mean a lot to me.

A couple of years later I did the same with tons of sterling silver pieces that I bought mostly here. Certainly didn't get the payoff I received from the gold but I sure felt better just to unload it. Silver with or without gemstones doesn't bring in nearly the worth of gold (any pure color) and I knew that but there is no need for ALL that I had especially when I don't wear gems & jewels now that Im retired.

All in all, nice pocket change.

Trusted Contributor

As several posters have wisely noted, over time our style preferences change.  I gave most of my colored Honora pearls to my little college-age niece--she loves draping herself in them as much as I did in my younger days.  Gave my youngest sister a lot of silver-and-gemstone pieces that I somehow had accumulated over the years, and some gold pieces that were just not right for me for whatever reason.  Gave my daughter my collection of gold and gemstone cocktail rings from back in the days when my late husband and I were in the party circuit.  Gave my middle sister my watches, all but the gold one I got when I graduated college.  That cleared up some space in the jewelry amoire to add new pieces more to my liking.  I have never sold a piece of jewelry, and plan to leave my gold and gemstones to my daughter when I get to old to rock and roll.

Honored Contributor

I got rid of 90% of my fashion jewelry a couple of years ago.  Honestly, I'm not good at getting rid of my jewelry.  I can do it with clothes but not jewelry.  I have so much jewelry that I just do on wear anymore but my girls and my nieces do not have the same taste in jewelry that I have.  I have no one to give it to and I don't want to donat it.  So, I organize everything in jewelry boxes.  Sometimes, I take boxes out and just look it all.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

About 4 years ago when gold was selling really high, I got rid of most of the 14k gold jewelry that I didn't really wear anymore to the tune of over 3large. I don't buy costume jewelry unless it's hand made, so I never get rid of it. I have some sterling I don't wear any more that I'm ready to donate. 

@blackhole99  I also sold off my expensive heavy gram weight gold about 4 years ago  like you did when gold was at a peak....made  over $15,000.   I kept a few favorite pieces. 

You might consider going to a gold and silver buyer to sell your silver rather than donating. That is what  I am going to do here  next month.  I am getting all my silver that I no longer wear all together to sell. At least I will get SOMETHING$$ for it  rather than just donating.