Trusted Contributor

Like many of you ladies here, I don't "need" more jewelry--but I WANT it!!  I'm going to retire in 2 years, and maybe I'll feel differently then (hard to imagine, though.)  Meanwhile, I am always on the hunt for something wonderful, and if it isn't on the Q, it is someplace else.

This year hasn't shown me as many things of interest on the Q, so I have bought less.  There are soooo many other places to look for lovely things, though!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't even watch Q jewelry shows anymore because their selection is the pits.  The choice of settings and gemstones is way behind the times.  Try Evine or Jewelry TV; even HSN trumps QVC. 

I love Etsy for one of a kind unique jewelry. You're also supporting "mom & pop" artists. 

Honored Contributor

Most places like QVC, JTV, etc. keep gold and precious gems apart.  If they have a tanzanite, they'll pair it with zircons instead of diamonds and set it in silver.  If they have gold, they will sell all gold.  The only places that keep them together (gems/diamonds/gold are the expensive places like Gem Shopping, etc. Because gold and diamonds are mega expensive, it drives up the cost of jewelry.  There isn't anything in the "middle".  If you want nice things you have to pay for it.

Valued Contributor

I totally disagree with songbird comment.  QVC does offer many gold and gemstone items and paired with diamonds.  And they always had fair prices.  Now when I see $7000 earrings I have to wonder if they are aware of their customer base that is used to seeing earrings priced around $500.  I used to see many eterna gold shows where quality and value were obvious.  No doubt there are customers for those higher priced items but please do not forget middle America and I am sure there are many willing to pay the price.

Honored Contributor

@junera wrote:

I totally disagree with songbird comment.  QVC does offer many gold and gemstone items and paired with diamonds.  And they always had fair prices.  Now when I see $7000 earrings I have to wonder if they are aware of their customer base that is used to seeing earrings priced around $500.  I used to see many eterna gold shows where quality and value were obvious.  No doubt there are customers for those higher priced items but please do not forget middle America and I am sure there are many willing to pay the price.

I don't watch QVC jewelry.  The times I do watch they always seem to have on either all gold, or gems surrounded by zircons and set in silver variatons. The fake diamonds are all set in silver, while years ago they were set in 14K gold.   Same thing with JTV.  What I see all the time, 24 hours a day is something Gem Shopping, with tons of gold,/platinum diamonds and average 5,000.00 a ring, $15,000.00 for diamond earrings & yesterday a Russian Alexanderite (6 carets) set in platinum for $150,000.etc. (they did drop it down to $45,00.00 eventually.)  Or everything you see in a retail jewelry store. Average cost for anything there is $5,000.00.  Fine jewelry is very expensive, because it's intrinsic value.