Honored Contributor

Re: DEVASTATING NEWS: Big Bonanza Silver Day Cancelled

Agree with this. I headed over to HSN and the jewelry offered is what I remember QVC once selling.

My issue is that the Good Old Days of Diamonique are gone (so I no longer buy anything in that category) and except for Barabra Bixby... there are no silver creations here that appeal to me.

RM white bronze is now what I buy for the look of the big, funky/chunky silver look.

Yeah, other than those 2, I don't bother with QVC for jewelry and that's the vicious cycle: people aren't buying so why offer it but if you offered it, then people would buy it but it's not there so they don't and round and round it goes.

Honored Contributor

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the price of silver was much lower in the Silver Bonanza Days .... ?

Trusted Contributor

While I wouldn't exactly describe it as devastating, I would say that I'm disappointed.  As a 25 year customer of QVC, I really used to look forward to their fun dress-up days.  First they got rid of the dressing up in historic costumes, then they got rid of the 24 hour nature of the show, then they presented less new jewelry, and now they're doing away with the show entirely.  

I know that there are probably a number of reasons that QVC is doing this - undoubtedly having to do with sells and profits, but I miss those good old days, and feel rather let-down.

Honored Contributor

Rare find! JRipka Ring. Believe this might be vintage JR? Before everything went south to China. This piece made in Thailand. Substantial weight-smooth inside. Finish outstanding!! Before purchasing looked at Diamond designs. This ring! Exceeded my wishes.
J313968 Sterling 2ct-Round & Princess Diamonqique.

Thank You! JR & QVC Please consider more high quality jewelry designs made in this class. 💗
Trusted Contributor

People aren't buying because the prices are so high for silver.  They are charging way beyond what I will pay, since silver had been down forever.  They are trying to ride the fact that silver was once high and they intend to keep their prices the same as when it was high.

Regular Contributor

Devastating..... cherished event.....IT'S JEWELRY  !!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cerb wrote:

While I wouldn't exactly describe it as devastating, I would say that I'm disappointed.  As a 25 year customer of QVC, I really used to look forward to their fun dress-up days.  First they got rid of the dressing up in historic costumes, then they got rid of the 24 hour nature of the show, then they presented less new jewelry, and now they're doing away with the show entirely.  

I know that there are probably a number of reasons that QVC is doing this - undoubtedly having to do with sells and profits, but I miss those good old days, and feel rather let-down.

I can understand this. Devastating, no, but this, certainly. They've taken almost all the fun out of the QVC shopping experience. They've completely decimated their roots and their complete focus is now on making the sale in whatever manner costs them the least time and money. I get that this is a business, but their current approach is slick to the point that it lacks what pulled folks in to begin with. It's a shame that somewhere along the line they lost the fun factor and the more human approach in the translation...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Not devasted, but I love my silver artisan jewelry and wish we would see more of that. I don't care for just plain silver jewelry that all looks alike, I understand that skilled artisan craft costs and I'm willing to pay for it. I didn't have any of the Telkari from Turkey and I heard that in 5 years there will not be any new coming out of Turkey. I bought the black agate Telkari ring from the Q and love it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They changed it because jewelry due to the commodities prices probably does not sell as well anymore.  They had gold shows prior to Christmas for gift giving. These days they are mostly featuring their big silver sellers on Jewelry Designer Day.  I am sure Bixby sold a lot yesterday and so did Ripka.

Contributor

So many disparaging remarks about the word "devastating'.  Well, perhaps they have a

point. Now,  the cancellation of Downton Abbey...that's Devastating! But seriously, there aren't many places left that even try to present quality jewelry at more or less affordable prices. Precious little on HSN and Evine leaves me cold. To be told that the few shows remaining are on the chopping block is cause for dismay, if not outright devastation.

I love my jewelry, and my mother said ,"Always buy the real thing". Not filled, plated, bronzed, or play dough. Real. To get an idea what real looks like, check out Gem Shopping on TV. They have kind of unpleasant hosts, but the jewelry is the real thing. Completely out of my price range, but good to see what quality should look like. Ever since Gems TV went under in 2010, nothing has filled the void they left behind. So, I say write or call, but let QVC know what you think about the jewelry situation. Anyway, happy shopping.